Thread: Parking Brake Lock Up

Hey Guys,
    There was a topic about how the parking brake should be used occasional to keep components active on the truck. Well I have a used 02 2500 HD D/A. I put my parking brake on and let the truck set for about 2 1/2 hours. When I got back in the truck and released the brake and drove away it felt as if I was hangin up. I went home and parked the truck but did not use the parking brake. Later that night when I went to work it felt as if everything was back to normal. Is this normal???

[ 06-07-2003, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: atvpilot ]
    \"Live for today cause you don\'t know if there will be a tomorrow.\"

I don't think so. Because my driveway is inclined, I use my parking brake whenever I'm parked there to take the load of the parking pawls in the trans. This includes, obviously, overnight. When parked on the flats I don't use it. I've never experienced any hint that it is hanging up. A couple of times, though, it didn't quite come up all the way when released, but a little chime warned me of the problem and I manually pulled the peddle up the last inch or so. But, even on these occasions I didn't feel any drag.

TC
    \'03 Fire Red GMC 2500HD D/A Ex Cab SB 4x4, Leer shell, Husky flaps, Oilguard, Juice, Mufflerectomy, Cat fuel filter, Titan V, Equal-i-zer, Arctic Fox 30U

Thanks for the reply, like I said, i bought it used so anythings possible.

sticking parking brake has happened to a friend twice, the last time the shoe springs broke allowing the shoes to jamb up. (not disk pads)

good luck
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Hey Letsgo,
    Thanks for the info. I thought that too but i have disc. Might have been just the cable hanging.

Atvpilot,

Some of the newer vehicles that have rear disc brakes still have shoes for the parking brake. They are small and inside the hub of the rotor. I'm not sure about the trucks, since I haven't had mine off, but this is how it is on my chevy van.

Ken
    2002 2500HD duramax/allison Ext. Cab, Long bed, gray, bed rug, fumoto valve, dta running boards, peragon cover,amsoil

Thanks Ken,
    Like i said it felt like it freed up after awhile. It was really weird when i tried backing up. I felt like it was in 4WD and it was binding up.

Turbo Al Guest

atvpilot: Mine does the same thing whenever I use the parking brake which is almost never. The truck shakes (going forward) like the 4wd is binding for about 100 feet then just stops and all is normal. I put it down to almost never using the parking brake. I will mention it next time it is in for service.

Turbo Al;
    Thanks for the input. That is exactly what mine did. I am kinda of leary to use it again. Let me know what happens. Thanks