Thread: Duramax Motor Swapping

Post Duramax Motor Swapping

There must be someone who has swaped a Duramax into a 1967-72 C/K? I need any info I can get. How about a 73-85?

Thanks TankBulldog

a5150nut Guest

Take a look at the Duramax Power Project in the Featured Articles. Follow that and you will find your answers.............

madmatt Guest

I don't know about a D-max but i've got a 3116 Cat in my 1970 k10. I'm running an allison tranny, pro-fab drop box and 1 ton axles. it actually went better then I ever thought. I had to modify the floorpan and firewall for clearence. I've also got a 3208 but i think the weight would be too much of an issue and I haven't found a gear box/driveline that would hold it.

a5150nut Guest

MadMatt

Got any pics of the 3116?

I saw a 70's Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 3208 in it. Don't remember what he did for a trans. I know he was looking for more gears to get more top end. I think he said it tacked out at 56mph.

An Allison will hold up to it though. I drove an F7000 Ford 10 wheel greese truck with 3208 and Allison. Everyone thought the mud & snows would sink in the sand in Palm Desert. But just add fuel until you saw the tires start to slip and it would walk right out.

madmatt Guest

i've got pics before the swap but no new ones since it's an ongoing project. as for the 3208, i'm more concerned about driveline trouble.1863 hp at the flywheel and w/ both turbos it would be a plumbing job from hell. the weight is only an issue because I don't yet have power brakes and just added the power steering when i did the new running gear. this truck was 2wd when i bought it 9 years ago. also it will be a street class pulling truck and I have to make weight. I haven't weighed it yet. when it's done i'll be sure to post pics. it's currently on hold till i get my new garage finished. for now the 3116 is more then enough for this rig. it's a stump pulling, black smokin' son of a gun. dynoed @ 652 rwhp w/ little work and all factory Cat parts. I've seen them make over 2k @ the flywheel.

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

I think you might run into a problem with the older vehicles because the frame rails are not as wide.....I think. The CAT is a good idea because, if I'm not mistaken, it's an inline 6 cylinder whereas the Duramax is a v8...much wider. Good luck though it sounds cool.
    JP

Arrow

The only thing I've heard was from a member who was attempting to install a Duramax/Allison in an 80's crew cab 1-ton. He ran into frame rail interference problems, and had to do some cutting to clear the exhaust. Without having seen pics of his project, I don't know for sure where the interference was, but I suspect it was in the area of the turbo downpipe.

I suggested he add structural support to the frame where the cuts were made. It's been a few months since I heard from him.

MP

madmatt Guest

the 3116 is a 7.2L inline 6 and the 3208 is a big, wide heavy v-8.

Craig M Guest

I know of over 3 C/K truck (1982-1988 style) that have had the Cat 3208's installed. An Allison transmission is a typical choice for transmission, but a manual could work as well. Front end does have to be reinforced for the extra weight.

a5150nut Guest

madmatt,

What bellhousing fits the 3116?

madmatt Guest

i just used the factory rear housing that was on the engine. the only difference in them is the mount locations which didn't matter because I had to make mounts. also I just found a tranny that had been mounted behind a 3116 in a GMC topkick so the tranny mounted right up. There is truck salvage yard on the Indiana-Illinois line, I think it's called Illi-Anna or Illiana truck parts or something. They were a big help in finding the tranny but also offer engines and aother misc. used truck parts.