Thread: Glow Controller???

Angry

My '94 2500 is dead in my driveway. Drove it home from work, went out to move it an hour later and everything blinks off/on when I turn the switch to the glow stage. Then only clicks if I turn the key to fire the engine. Everything including the radio and ac blinks off and on during the glow stage. I can also hear a clicking in the dash during this time. I can turn the key to only power the radio and it works fine. My dash shows my battery at 12V. Hooked up a charger in start mode and nothing better. I figure something wrong with the glow controller, but I have no experience to back it up. Any ideas would be great!!
    Thanks
    Jason in NC

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: jclay ]

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: jclay ]</p>

Hi jclay,

Had a similar problem with my 97' CC 3500. The dash lighting was going haywire when I had turned on the ignition. It turned out that it had too much juice (wrong fuse put in) going to the trailer brakes and melted some of the wiring to the point that pos/neg wires crossed. Dash lights flashed, door chime going crazy, etc. I don't know if this helps but... Did you make any changes in wiring or fuses?
    DP Member 9428<br />2002 Chevy 2500HD LT, D/A, Ext. Cab, SB, Dark Carmine Red/Med. Grey.

No changes, but my trailer brake controller has never worked. My problem is only when I turn to hit the glow plugs so I dont think it's in the wiring. AC and radio work if I turn the switch to only power the aux equipment.

But thanks for your reply. Good to know!

Come on guys.... my truck is blocking my entire driveway. Too difficult to get it towed. It's got to be something simple!

Where is the glow controller?

Exclamation

jclay

Forget the glow controller! Whether it works or not, it will not prevent the starter from cranking. If your batteries are good (Don't trust the gauge), then you have a bad connection somewhere, very likely a battery cable. The use of a charger with a start cycle indicates that the problem is likely a connector. Check the terminals at the batteries, the cable between the batteries, the ground, and the cable from the battery to the starter. The Battery to starter cable does commonly loosen at the starter solenoid. The clicking you are hearing is the solenoid rapidly engaging/disengaging, which will also cause the instrument lights and radio lights to flash in time with it. When you turn the key to on, the glow controller will cause the bad connection to fail, causing the same condition as the starter. The glow controller is just another solenoid and works the same as the starter solenoid.

Eliminate one connection at a time. Remove it, clean it, then tighten it.

Good luck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

If all the connections and battery have checked out OK ........ As DMaverick states, I would say your starter armature has developed a dead short and it's time for a new starter......Be happy it's not a D-MAX starter $500 big ones......

MAC

Now that makes sense!!! Battery cables are all tight, will look at starter when i get home. Thanks for that great reply!!!
    jason

I just wanted to say thanks for the input. All my cables were tight, but one battery had some corrosion under one of the side post. Not easy to see. So...it's running now.

jason