Thread: Allison Fluid Cooler lines - are yours loose?

I noticed today while admiring the underneath of the truck that on my transmission housing the both the TO and FROM cooler lines are "loose" in the fittings - they wiggle/pull in and out about 1/8" inch. No apparent gross leaking, but there was a drop of tranny fluid on the bottom of each plastic retainer "safety" ring.

Is everyone's/anyone else's like this? I already had the tranny completely replaced, did they not put them back on right???

Scott
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Kennedy Guest

This is normal just like the 6.5 oil cooler lines. They are oring fittings with an "omega" clip holding them in place.

Thank you John! If it hadn't been replaced already, I probably wouldn't have worried!

Scott
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Kennedy Guest

Mine were "weepy" when new. Oil on the tin plug on the bell too. Now it is all dry!

BMDMAX Guest

Thumbs up

Ditto on that JK!

Same here. They seem loose, but they are fine.

I did have to have one of mine replaced @ about 1,000 miles due to a drip. After that, no problems. The fluid you're seeing is from assembly, and will dissipate with time.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT EC/SB D/A <br />Dark Gray, loaded..<br />Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, Headlight Harness, Access, Air Lift, Luverne, <br />Hot Juice, Mega Filter, more....<a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/somndmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:somndmax@yahoo.com\">somndmax@yahoo. com</a>

Brought my new truck home, 2 nights ago. After moving it, my wife noticed a small pink puddle under it. This is my first GM truck and I noticed previously that the antifreeze was pink (Dex-Cool), so I blew it off. Returned to dealer, yesterday, to have 5th wheel hitch switched from my Ford trade. Returned home last night--2 larger puddles of pink fluid. Checked it this time and it was transmission fluid! Called dealer and went back to them for service. DX--loose cooler line. It was tightened, refilled, and undercarriage cleaned. Can't believe 3 trips to the dealer (110 miles-roundtrip, each) in 2 days. Well I guess, I'm getting the break-in mileage taken care of!! Hope this is all the problems I have. Except for this, I love the truck.
    2002 Crew Cab, LS, SB, 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 3.73 LS, Trailering pkg, loaded. White/tan, Buckets

Mine also began dripping at one of the cooler line fittings with only a few hundred miles on the truck. Dealer ended up replacing the complete line in order to stop the leak. No problem since.
    \'02 2500HD LT CC SB D/A, Line-X, ReTrax bed cover

Admiring the underneath of the truck?

We are a sick bunch!
    2001 2500HD LS Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Shortbed 4WD<br />Fold a Cover - Bed Rug<br />27\' Holiday Rambler Aluma lite Travel Trailer

I have the same problem on my truck, and it only has 900 miles on it right now. Just looked under the truck last night and noticed the fitting was moist. I will keep an eye on it since some people have had a drip.
    Did I mention how much fun this thing is to drive?? [img]smile.gif[/img] I finally understand why so many guys on this forum say they can't get the grin off their faces. I have the same problem!! I plan on taking her to the track in the next few weeks to see how she does in stock form, I can't wait.

Jason
    69 Chevy C-10 P/U, Supercharged 355cid, 1.66 60\' 12.25@106<br />68 Firebird, 355cid 12.50@107<br />2002 GMC 4x4 2500HD SLT D/A Ext.cab/short bed Polo Green, Arma Lined<br /><br />16.32@81 K&N <br />14.84@89.8 w/ Cold Juice(4wd)<br />14.78@92.5 w/ Cold Juice(2wd)Union Grove

After the loose cooler line was tightened, another small leak( wet spot around a screw on the bottom of the transmission) next to the filter. They backed it off and wrapped it with teflon tape. No more leaking--but hope this isn't the beginning of a bell housing leak higher up, as mentioned in another post. That leak dripped from this screw.
    2002 Crew Cab, LS, SB, 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 3.73 LS, Trailering pkg, loaded. White/tan, Buckets