Thread: OOPS! Did I do any permanent damage?

Red face

I had to use 4 Hi to pull my boat up a steep wet driveway on the way to the lake. I forgot and left it in 4 HI and towed the boat at 70 MPH for 60 miles on the interstate.
    Did I damage my truck's drivetrain? It drives fine and doesn't seem to be hurt? What do you think?
    Tray Bourgoyne<br />Raymond, MS<br />03 Chevy CC 4x4 D/A

wouldnt do it every day but i doubt any damage was done
    QUADZILLA POWER 215HP STEALTH TUNER,BULLYDOG PROPANE,NITROUS EXPRESS,QUADZILLA POWER EXHAUST AND GAUGES,THANKS TO ADVANCE DIESEL TECHNOLOGY,DYNOED AT 455.7HP ON#2AND 558.9HP ON #2AND FRIENDS

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing....with 13k hooked up. 4x4 highway driving should not really hurt it, just make it hot. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I agree with KingD, don't do it often and don't worry.

Burner-------&gt;
    2003 GMC SLT CC 4x4 SB-Cooper Tires-Speed Liner-Activator II-Full length ICI SS step bars B&W Goose & more to come
    -- Member #7527
    E-Mail --&gt;Twomuchplay(at)AOL(dot)com

If it was gonna hurt something, You would know it by now... Dont worry, be happy!
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Cool

I would say your front ring and pinion are broken in nicely .

Hey, AWD runs that way always, I know it's not the same but you can't go back.

Don't sweat it, that's what warranty's are for

GMC
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>

The transfercase is about all that would have felt the pain of leaving it in 4x4. So, maybe you stretched the chain a little. It's probably fine. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey Tony, you forget to add "borrowed pressure box" to your stack list before the 435hp in your signature. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-30-2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 6.6 Diesel <br />443+HP/944LB-FT unstacked #2 only

Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
    Hey Tony, you forget to add "borrowed pressure box" to your stack list before the 435hp. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Oh that's gotta sting ______ BAD !!!!!!

Ah'hem better back it off to a "virgin tranny" 412 ,Ouch !!!!!!!! Talk about horsepower robbing ,OW WEEEE !!!!!!

Mac

[ 06-30-2003, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Did the same thing, drove 98 miles in 4x at 70+ mph, pulling a 6,200lb trailer in my 1/2 ton Z71 at 38,000 miles.

When I sold it last month with 146,000 miles on the clock, it still no problems with it?

Changed all fluids at 100,000 and they all looked good.
    2003 GMC Sierra D/A 2500HD CC 4x4 Carbon Metallic
    K&N
    285/75R Bridgestone REVO's
    Kennedy 4" Exhaust
    Zaino Polish CB WESTIN STEPS
    MY PICTURES

Kennedy Guest

A lot of us use 4wd to launch and run down the dragstrip with the selector in 2wd, but most everything remains "meshed" anyhow...

Where 4wd on dry pavement is an issue is when turning in that it puts a bit of stress on the drivetrain as well as the tires...

Talking

Thanks for the info folks! There was'nt alot of turns just a straight ahot down the highway. I plan on changing all the drivetrain fluids at 2000 miles anyway. I'll let ya know what turns up!

Thanks!
    Tray Bourgoyne<br />Raymond, MS<br />03 Chevy CC 4x4 D/A

Originally posted by Tray B:
    Thanks for the info folks! There was'nt alot of turns just a straight ahot down the highway. I plan on changing all the drivetrain fluids at 2000 miles anyway. I'll let ya know what turns up!

Thanks!
    Don't freak if your front differential juice looks like Mustard .....

They pretty much all do .....

Mac

I almost did the same thing, luckily I had a few hard turns before I hit the freeway and noticed the steering was a bit funky and realized it was still in 4wd. That is one complaint I have, there is no light on the dash that is in your face about being in 4wd, only that little amber light which is only an inch away from the 2wd light. Oh well...

britannic Guest

Freeway driving shouldn't be too bad with the slower curves, it's when you have a ton of turns and the front and rear diffs need to turn at more different speeds that things start binding.

My wife left our Blazer in 4x4 Hi for a week, before asking me why it wouldn't idle along in drive any more - that's when I spotted the little 4x4 warning light on the switch. Switched it off and drove on for another 30k over the next 2 years without any problems - they're designed to take a lot of abuse, but like anything else, only so much!

Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
    The transfercase is about all that would have felt the pain of leaving it in 4x4. So, maybe you stretched the chain a little. It's probably fine. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey Tony, you forget to add "borrowed pressure box" to your stack list before the 435hp in your signature. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Jesse,

Thanks for being so observant [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Gee, only 7 horsepower more and you would be crying, OOhhhhhh I forgot to tell you, are you sure I don't have a PRESSURE BOX .

Maybe I was just lucky enough to find one or to have one find me.

I believe that I have one on the way, so I'll be leaving the 435 right where it is.

Thanks Cupcake, made the Allison look good against the Handshaker.

Too bad I lost so much HP thru the Alli, surely with only a 7 HP loss to the Handshaker I am sure if I had a Handshaker you would have lost on the HP numbers [img]tongue.gif[/img] . [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maybe the next time.

GMC [img]smile.gif[/img]

435 HP !!!!!!!!!!
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>