Thread: BRAKES

Anyone consider upgrading brakes? My 3500 has once again developed that annoying squeak out back ....... In addition coming down a steep exit ramp, a little to fast, felt some peddle pulses ...... Like an out of round rotor ....... Sucks .... 15k ...... I thought perhaps Stillen rotors, which are well vented, for excessive heat ...... Match it up with a good set of pads...... I'm thinking all four corners ...... Anyone running them in the past with any insight ?...... I'm quite surprised on the rotor run out they are pretty thick ....... Seen the back pads hardly any wear ...... Should be taking a look at the front this weekend when I do my tire swap , finally ...... Got NUT'S ..... Lug NUT'S that is .......
    MAC

Mackin,
    The squeak is caused by the pads becoming glazed and brake dust build up on the leading edge of the pads.You can take the pads off and lightly sand the face and canfer the leading and trailing edges. This will last for a while but it will come back. I have the squeak also but havn't had the time to do anything about it. I also looked into Stillen brakes(for my last truck 1996 GMC K3500) they didin't have brakes for the 3/4 or 1 ton models just the 1/2 ton. I don't know if they have anything for them now.Hope this helps.
    Tom
    2002 GMC K3500 Crew cab D/A SLT<br />Member# 7985<br />Kennedy headlight booster,Amsoil air filter,Line-X bedliner,Retrax,Alcoa Hot Shot\'s<br />Pulls a Myco triaxle boat trailer-like it\'s not there (11500 lbs.)

Talking

It's about TIME you started thinking about brakes, you JUICED UP maniac!

Seriously, these sure seem like really good feel/stopping power/no fade brakes IMHO. (You gotta remember, I was driving an 89 Mustang GT, the worst brakes ever, couldn't stop a go-kart!)

I also noticed, in my case, no squeaking or excessive brake dust. I'm curious just what the stock pads are made of. Are they the new ceramic pads I've heard are out now? If not, would ceramic pads be an improvement in stopping power/noise/dust?

Anybody have any experience with ceramic brake pads? If they're good, I may use them on all of the other cars when the time comes.

Regards, Steve
    \'02 2500HD 2WD LS, grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. Delivered 11/09/01<br />So far:<br />Juice ver 3.61c, Max Power Plug, PS2000 propane, Gibson Performance dual exhaust, 255/85-16 Dunlop Rover A/Ts<br />Pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./oil, tranny, diff. temp gauges, Valentine One<br />Aiwa CD/MP3 head, 4- Pioneer TS-C1653 6.5\" component spkrs, 2-10\" Tsunami subs, 1200W of Visonik amps<br />Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller, Lucerix mirrors, Line-X, Bed X-tender, DeeZee running boards<br />Peragon folding bed cover, Rancho RS9000 shocks<br />PIAA headlights, Power tailgate lock, Invinca-shield, Husky flaps and tinted windows <br />Mag-Hytech diff. cover, Allison deep sump, Transynd, Amsoil air filter and gear lube, Fumoto valve<p>Up next:<br />high idle, Spare fuel tank?<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/2002_silverado\" target=\"_blank\">Truck Pictures</a>