Thread: Allison Fluid change

I am begining to think that these GM service techs are not all versed in the products that they sell. Case in point: I am looking to have the transmission fluid changed in my truck. Currently I tow a fifth wheel and want to make sure that I keep up the maintenance with the Allison. For insurance sake, I order two 2.5 gallons of Amsoil synthetic ATF dexron III compatible fluid for the change.

After I recieved my order from Amsoil, I call my dealer and mention to him that I would like to have the fluid changed but I will be supplying the Allison filter and fluid for this preventive maintenance procedure. No problem. Then I mention the forbidden word "Synthetic" ATF fluid. They schedule the appointment for October 17th. No problem.

Later that day I get this phone call from a guy named "Paul" indicating that they have checked the GM service manuals and that the transmission requires only Dexron III ATF fluid. They said not to buy the synthetic fluid as they do not want to use it.

Well this morning I call the dealer to find out what heck is going on. I mentioned that the ATF fluid is Dexron III compatible and suitable for use in the transmission. I also mention that Allison recommends TransD which is also a synthetic oil for the transmission.

"Well you will have to bring in the container to let our mechanic look at it and make sure it is suitable for use in the transmission" barks the dealer. I think to myself, "What am I stupid or something?"

I am begining to wonder if these fellas have ever changed the fluid in one of these transmissions. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

BTW they will be replacing my two piece drive shaft to the infamous flag pole type to cure the launch shudder. They also will be reflashing the computer for the lopey idle and Allison shifting.
    Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison LB, Linex bed liner, Amsoil oil, transmission oil and air filter.

It is sad when the customer knows more than the dealer, isn't it? Get used to it...
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

I changed mine myself and it really wasn't bad. I dropped the pan and cleaned it. Reinstalled with the same gasket. Put in 3 gal of TransD. Pulled the upper line from the cool and clamped a hose to it. Crawled out and had the wife crank it. Filled a gallon jug and reattached the line. Took all of an hour and some of that was cleanup due to not getting the truck shut off fast enough after the gallon I would recommend just doing it yourself and then you know if was done right. You are probably right, the dealer has probably never done a change. You need 4 gallons for the change if you want to really flush the converter. I also change the transfer case at the same time and it looked much darker than the Allison. Uses a little over 2 quarts too. 5 gallons should get everything with a little left over.

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

Question

chuntag95 (Chris),

Did you use TranSynD in the transfer case? Not that I think it's wrong, just asking.

Sadly, the majority of Chev/GMC dealers do not have a clue when it comes to the Allison. I would recommend going to the Allison website www.allisontransmission.com and locate the Allison dealer near you, my experience for parts, lubes and advice has been outstanding. If you live on NE Ohio try...

Williams Detroit Diesel Allison
    7125 Masury Rd.
    Hubbard, OH 44425
    330.534.1161 or 800.686.1224
    Fax 330.534.1529

Good luck
    2001 XCab LB 4WD D/A, Linex, <br />Roadmaster suspension, Hella horns, <br />ARE cap, Hayes running boards, Fumoto Valve

Thumbs down

The bad news is when I called 2 Allison dealers they they told me they don't service pickups,only big rigs.So, I bought the Transdyne from them & had my local mechanic flush it via the line disconnect method.Takes about 30 minutes.Also my GM dealer never heard of Transydne.
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er