Thread: fuel filter & trans filter change

Question

Hello

I have been reading this forum for awhile now and have found a wealth of information regarding our trucks. Today i changed the trans filter with an allison filter ($8.92.) a lot cheaper then the dealer. when i took the old one off there was gray sludge on the magnet.i guess to catch all the leftover particles fom manufacturing. I filled the new filter with tranny fluid, put on new magnet,installed it, took for a test drive. then checked fluid level 1 quart low.topped it off and no ses light.
    .....30 min. and 1 beer

Now to do the fuel filter, I was able to get one at the local parts store for ($28.06) again, cheaper then the dealer. i pulled off the wheel liner on the passenger side for easy access. when i took off the filter there was not that much fuel in it? and nothing came out of the housing. i read from an earlier post that fuel dumps out everywhere. maybee there is something wrong with my truck.
    .....60 min. and 2 beers

While under the hood looking around, i noticed that there was some brake fluid under that blue thing (not sure what they call it)next to the master cylinder, and that at the top of the powersteering resevoir where the dipstick goes there is some indication of a leak (blow by).has anyone else had this problem?

I have the steering rattle,and the driveshaft clunk when starting and stopping but have not taken it in yet. I haven't been able to find a dealer here in sacramento I can trust. I have 12000 miles on this truck, and these problems started showing up around 9000 miles. is it a big fight to get these items fixed. I have read earlier post, and it seems that the dealers do not want to fix anything. Has any one here in sacramento had the same problems, and how did you go about getting it fixed. any help would be appreciated.

thanks..craig
    2002 silverado 2500 hd/ls<br />crew cab long box<br />duramax/allison<br />deflecta shield<br />tweaked cobra 29 cb<br />http://www.picturetrail.com/sacmandmax

Craig

Tranny filter sounds good...Good time changing 1 beer is average rating......

Fuel filter mine also doesn't spill and isn't full so both are trucks are the same......Good time changing 2 beers is average .... I do it in three since removing liner takes extra time........Hic-up......

Brake fluid is a possible hydro boost leak.......there has been others mine is dry ...Keep an eye on fluid level mention to the stealer .....What no inspection beers???? Didn't you get a six ?????

Power steering fluid could have been a top of dealer spill problem...How is the level is it above "HOT" when hot???Then it is over full and will spew......

Come on BEERS????? I should have opted for a 12 pack........

Can't help you on the steering wheel clunky don't have it thank goodness cause apparently the dealer struggles with help on this issue.....

That's it I'm out of beer so I'm out of here....... [img]tongue.gif[/img] Hic-up.......

MAC

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Cool

Sacmandmax--I noticed in your post that you said you put in a "new" magnet when you installed the new spin-on tranny filter on your Allison. Maybe just a slip on your part, calling it "new", but the magnet is reusable. All you have to do is clean it off and put it back in.

When I replaced my fuel filter at 15k miles, I did it without taking the skirt off the fender well. Only problem I had was that the rubber grommet that fits around the fuel inlet(?)--the part the filter screws onto--stayed on the filter housing. Had a hell of a time figuring out why the new filter wouldn't screw on, then even more fun trying to get the old grommet off. That's when I resorted to a 6-pack of "penetrating fluid"!
    2002 Chevy K2500 LS D/A EC LB<br />Summit White/Anthracite<br />ClearShield paint protector<br />Challenger aluminum plate tool box<br />Rhino Linings spray-in bedliner<br />Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller<br />Reese Pro-Series 15k fifth-wheel hitch<br />Midland CB/weather radio with Firestik antenna and quick-detach mount

Question

About the magnet in the tranny filter: I had the filter changed once at less than 1000 miles. Then I had it changed again by a different dealer at 7500 miles. Yes, I worry about trannys.

I told the second dealer to be sure to not lose the magnet. When I picked up the truck, he explained that the service tech looked for the magnet but found no magnet. Furthermore, there was no magnet in stock at his dealership or any other dealership in San Diego, so they ordered one for me and will call when it arrives. That was about 10 days ago.

Two questions:

Does the magnet not come with the filter?

What consequence, if any, follows from running 6500 miles without a magnet?

Thanks in advance.
    2002 White Tan D/A LT CC LB 4WD Callen Camper shell, Linex, Lucerix

That's when I resorted to a 6-pack of "penetrating fluid"!

I love that comment.

I don't believe not having the magnet is a problem although I certainly would prefer having it.

The fluid travels though the center of the filter by means of the threaded connection. I believe since the magnet is "outside" of this tube the fluid flows over the magnet first, then through the filter and out through the center, back to the tranny?

Anybody know the flow direction?

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Hello, I bought the filter at an allison service center here in sacramento,and it did not come with the magnet. for another $1.50 or so i thought i would buy an extra one just in case i lost the original. the magnet traps all the metal particles comming through the filter. and yes, a $10.00 six pack of penetrating fluid.
    James, maybe the first guy who changed your fluid did not have his daily six pack of pennetrating fluid..lol..just a thought
    2002 silverado 2500 hd/ls<br />crew cab long box<br />duramax/allison<br />deflecta shield<br />tweaked cobra 29 cb<br />http://www.picturetrail.com/sacmandmax

Idle_Chatter Guest

Angry

The magnet *does not* come with the filter. It is a separate part and will be thrown away in a second with the old filter. I've been without mine for 33,000 miles now. It's on the inlet side of the filter to grab ferrous particles but since the filter media is there after the missing magnet I think I'm okay. WARNING on the dealer on magnets!! I had two dealers quote me a price on magnets $29.90 and $28.00!!! I bought the replacement from an Allison dealer for $1.98! It's waiting, along with a new spin on filter and 5 gallons of Amsoil ATF for a weekend without overtime to change out the fluid and get a magnet back in there!