Thread: for those who change tranny fluid

Question

I am preparing to change my transmission fluid and switch to Transynd. I was reading previous posts/threads getting tips on how to do it. I read one post that said he read where Allison does not recommend flushing the transmission for fear of pushing out orings.
    Any words of wisdom?
    I have checked Allisons page and didn't see where it said not to flush. Their procedure is to drain and refill.
    My thought is when I switch to synthetic is flushing the best way to get the old out?
    02 White LT D/A 3500 Crew Cab 4x4<br />Back Rack, Patriot Jumbo Box, Reece Class V Hitch

sspm

Some interesting reading ...
    =&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=002105

Look at last post lots of info.......

=&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=002566

This one is very good too .......

MAC

Smile

Mackin

Thank you for the 1st thread....very informative.
    02 White LT D/A 3500 Crew Cab 4x4<br />Back Rack, Patriot Jumbo Box, Reece Class V Hitch

I changed my fluid and filter yesterday 44750 miles. (also changed the filter only at 5k)

I have given up on Chevy for Allison stuff. The Chev dealer gave me a price of 37.50 for the filter alone, so I found an Allison distributer. The filters are $8.87ea and Transynd is $29.34 a gallon.

Williams Detroit Diesel Allison
    7125 Masury Rd.
    Hubbard, OH 44425
    330.534.1161 or 800.686.1224
    Fax 330.534.1529

The Allison guys said that there was no problem mixing the Transynd with the Dex III in the tranny unless the old stuff has been burned to syrup. They also said that when they have to empty the comverter they use the line disconnect method and run it until the clear fluid shows up.

Hope this helps
    2001 XCab LB 4WD D/A, Linex, <br />Roadmaster suspension, Hella horns, <br />ARE cap, Hayes running boards, Fumoto Valve

If you disconnect the From Cooler line and start the engine, how fast does fluid come out? In other words how long does it take to pump a gallon?

Diesel_Lawyer ,

I got help when I did it ,in adition I put hose into a 2.5 gallon jug.....Room for error......Buy extra NEW fluid ....Flow rate is fast but not quick......When I had my 12 year old watching the bucket to a pre determined mark I keep asking her is it there yet ......Isn't the flow rate 6 gallons a minute through the cooler??? But 10 seconds seems to fast...More like 20 seconds or so......

MAC

On edit :YUP !!!!!
    Transmission oil cooler. This new transmission oil cooler, used with the Allison 1000 5-speed automatic transmission, is mounted below the radiator to preclude heat from the transmission going into the engine cooling system. It relies on RAM air from openings in the front bumper. The size of the cooler has been increased from previous models, and its larger 5/8-inch lines (compared to 3/8-inch lines previously used) provide for a very liberal 6-gallon-per-minute (GPM) transmission fluid flow rate. Transmission fluid cooling is substantially improved as a result.

From here =&gt;Courtesy THE DIESEL PAGE ......
    =&gt;http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/news9.htm

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Mackin

Thanks for the info. Seems that having help doing this is a good idea!