Thread: Rusty tailgate hinges

jbplock Guest

I noticed what looked like rust on the drivers side tailgate hinge on my 03 so, after pulling the tailgate off I found the left hinge was rusted and beginning to pit.

No doubt it’s the result of winter driving on salted upstate NY roads. The passenger side hinge wasn’t as bad but still rusted. I cleaned up both hinges and applied a coat of AMSOIL HD metal protector followed by some bearing grease. I’ll be keeping an eye on this from now on. Left untreated I think the hinge would have eventually rusted through.

When lubing parts that come into contact with the elements that aren't sealed, I've had better luck with silicone type lubricants. Grease has a tendency to pick up sand, filth, and corruption. Where more body is desired, white lithium might be a better alternative. I use white lithium on door hinge pins, etc. Just an idea...

Ty
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLE EC SB D/A<br />ts587@yahoo.com

jbplock Guest

Ty,

Thanks for the suggestion on the white lithium grease. When I found the rust I just reached for something quick... Is there a specific brand and/or type I should look for? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I picked some white lithium grease up at my RV dealer. You can get it at any auto parts store also. I had taken my tailgate off and had also noticed the rusting. I sanded it off and coated the pins with the grease. Finding little rust spots all over. The hinges, the bolts that attatch the wire fender brace just in front of the rear tires (back em off and have a look, its bare metal under there), the back of the front bumper (noticed a lot of rust when I took it off to move it forward). It bugs me to know somewere else I'm not aware of, rust is getting a foothold. I want this truck to last me, and I don't want a good running truck thats a rusted POS.
    03 2500HD LT D/A CC SB 4x4. Allison Deep Pan&Transynd,Airlift AirBags,Fumoto,Husky Mats,Mudflaps,Bugshield,Line-X,Access Cover,Tranferflow Tank, Racor 2mic Filter PreOEM,PullRite Superglide Hitch,Prodigy Brake Controller. 30\' Prowler Regal 5\'er.