Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket or Cracked Head or ??

My truck started losing coolant and the light started coming on. Then it started running rough. Took it in and they replaced all the injectors at 60K mi. No charge to me.

Now it is still losing coolant to the point where each 2k miles I have to add.

I am guessing that I have a head gasket or head crack/warp problem. Need to take it back in I guess.

If it is one of these do you guys know if this is covered under warranty? She has just over 71K on her now.
    K&N Air Filter in stock airbox
    2001 2500HD<br />4\" Banks Exhaust<br />EZ Amp/Edge<br />K&N Filter<br />285-75-16 Wrangler Silent Armor<br />16x8 Mojave Teflon AR Wheels

Inspector Guest

The warrenty started with the first purchase date. If it falls within the 5 year 100 thousand mile engine warrenty you will be ok. There will be a 100 dollar deductible.
    Denny

Thanks for the info. I am taking the truck in today. Will update.
    2001 2500HD<br />4\" Banks Exhaust<br />EZ Amp/Edge<br />K&N Filter<br />285-75-16 Wrangler Silent Armor<br />16x8 Mojave Teflon AR Wheels

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

I believe there is another issue that may lead to coolant loss...injector cup seating. I think that's what it is reffered to. I have gotten the low coolant light twice in the last year or so and I don't have to add very much. It seems to me that a head gasket would be way more lost than what I am experiencing. I'm a little scared to take my truck in though because I have the Banks OTTO Mind plugged in and it operates my guages. It would be a hassle to remove, but I guess that's better than paying for repairs. Wonder if I should just take a chance they won't notice?
    JP

I would take it out as there is little chance they wont notice. I take out my Edge before going to the dealer.

I just had my injectors replaced so I was thinking that it must be the head. I guess it could be the injectors though. I just want it fixed.

Mark Heiken Guest

Check the water pump for seepage. Mine lost a little coolant for the first 20k miles. I finally noticed the pump seeping. Hasn't lost a drop since.

madmatt Guest

if you've recently had the injectors replaced before you noticed the coolant loss, theres a good chance the injector sleeves were disturbed and are now leaking. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. there is a bulletin on this. it's PI01249. heres part of what it has to say...

It is possible for coolant to leak past the injector sleeve into the cylinder. This can occur if there is a poor sealing surface between the cylinder head and the injector sleeve. Debris from the assembly process or pitting at the cylinder head can cause this problem. During injector replacement, the sleeve could become dislodged or removed with the injector . If the injector sleeve is not installed properly, leakage could result after injector replacement. Loctite

Angry

Actually the coolant loss was occuring before and after the injector replacement. In fact, a few thousand miles before the injectors totally went, I paid a few hundred bucks for some hose replacements because when I first reported the coolant loss, they 'found' a 'small leak'in a hose that happened to be the most labor intesive one to replace. Never solved the coolant loss so I question if there was ever a leak in the first place.

Anyway- the truck is at the dealer and I am lucky enough (not) to be driving a big ol Lincoln Town Car that was the only thing the local rent-a-car place had. I also learned that GM does not pay for rentals on the 100K drive train waranty claims. Nice

Angry

Update - The dealer kept the truck for two days and said they cannot determine where the leak is. They confirmed that the system presurizes when it should not. They said that they did a CO test and found no indication of exhause gases in the coolant. They said that they needed to leave it under pressure over the weekend. I will check in with them today but it is getting old paying 60 bucks a day for a rental while they try to figure out what is going on with my truck.

"George is getting angry"

OK - talked with the service foreman and the most knowledgable GM tech at the dealer and he claims that the Coolant loss could not be going into the crankcase because the oil level is not going up or showing more than full on the dipstick. Does this make any sense? I would think they could chemically test the oil like we did in the Army on the HMMWVs.

He also says that only trucks with aftermarket software run over 210 degrees. I am running stock software - I pulled my chip a while ago to rule it out as a source of problem.

I am no mechanic so I need some help here. I told them they could drive the truck for 60 miles or so to see if there is any coolant level drop.

Meanwhile I am not able to use my truck and am stuck driving a Lincoln Town Car of all things.

madmatt Guest

yes the oil can be tested for coolant. It would show up as high sodium levels. Also how do they claim a coolant system overpressurise w/o the introduction of combustion gases ??? any hard starts or is it still running rough or smoking??

i had a cooling loss too. the dealer found a spot on the head gasket. the dealer replace the head gasket and plane down the heads while they had them off. it took them a month to this. the dealer let me used one of there rental cars at no cost, i had to put fuel in it, while the dealer had my truck. it cost me $100 and 12000 miles warrently on the engine.

It does not hard start or run rough. I don't know get the idea that the dealer is all that competent. The service rep I am dealing with is very accomodating but I am not sure about the competencey of the techs (of course I have no clue when it comes to this stuff so I am in the dark and not one to judge).

He now says that if I overfilled the coolant - it could siphon the whole coolant resevoir dry but I don't see how that could happen and don't think I overfilled it when I added the Dexcool anyway.

Just so I understand how my coolant loss (apparant coolant consumption as well as coolant burping out the overflow tube) relates to the possible problems..... So the overpressure is caused by a possible leak of exhaust into the coolant through the head if it is cracked or the head gasket if it is failing? AND - If it is overpressuring then that could cause the coolant to be burping out the overflow? AND it may be consuming coolant through leakage into the head? Do I have this all correct?

I am getting frustrated. Should I be calling GM or Chevy's district people? Is there contact info for these corporate people available on this site?

Sounds like classic signs of head gasket failure to me. Especially the pressureizing of the coolant tank. It has been my findings that leaking cup seals do NOT pressurize the system, but allow slow dissapearing of coolant. Some of the 01's I have tore down had rusty head bolts even they were leaking so long. The gasket can be 'read' and generally its possible to see where the leak likely was.

I've heard sometime back that the torque on the heads from the factory was bumped on the 02ish MY to combat maybe a problem that was known early on.
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Thanks Eric. The trouble with my situation is that the dealer is resisting my suggestions to check the head gasket for some unknown reason.

What test or inspection might I suggest they perform that will confirm or rule out the head gasket or cracked head. They told me that they did a "block test" and it showed no problems. They kept the system over the weekend completely presurized and it showed no leaks or loss of fluid. They said that the coolant would have increased the level in the engine oil but it did not show.

madmatt Guest

How close is your next nearest dealer??? Basicly, if it's pressurizing the system, the head needs to come off for inspection. It's true this is no joy to do and they may just be trying to get around doing it. I know a lot of dealers who were turning down diesel work are now getting cracked down on and maybe this is their way around it...CND....(could not duplicate). diesels are odd creatures in the way that they may not leak compression unless at a certain temp, under a specific load, and at a specfic operating speed. All these factors make for different cylinder pressures that may or may not leak at times. The pressure put on your cooling system w/ a pressure tester is not even remotely close to the same as those made during combustion.

[ 09-16-2005, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: madmatt ]

Matt, everything you say makes perfect sense. Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere, this sounds like a head or head gasket problem. I thought that GM reimburses the dealer so I am confused as to why they would be resistant. I may have to take it to another dealer, there are a bunch that are close by, this particular dealer happens to be next to where I work so I have always taken it there.

I'll give these guys another day and push them to take the head off and inspect. If they refuse I will have to call GM and/or take her to another dealer service center.

Another thing, prior to the injector problem, I did take the truck to this dealer for this same coolant loss problem and they "found" a leak in one of the hoses. Even if I accpet that there could have been a leak (although I now have my doubts) This cost me about 3 bills to get it fixed - shouldn't this have been covered by the 100k powertrain waranty?

madmatt Guest

no, hoses aren't covered.

Here is a few shots from one I have in the shop right now.

This pic shows the block near where the head gasket was actually failed. Notice the surface of the block has some rust on it and the piston is slightly washed. You can see the head bolt hole with the threads in it has some rust as well. The hole to the left lower of the bolt hose was actually where the leak was.

Here is the surface of the head, the large hole in the center of the "triangle" is the head bolt hole, the hole to the lower right is nearest the leak point.

Here is the actual leak point on the head gasket, notice the black portion of the gasket is missing between the cylinder, coolant hole and head bolt hole.

Just a close up shot of the area around the leak, head bolt hole is visable here as well.

[ 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: dmaxalliTech ]
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Thanks guys. Talked to the tech today and they are doing more "tests". I keep on pushing them to pull the heads and take a look but they want some other indicators I guess.