Thread: Fluid Change

Guys,

Getting ready to change the fluid in the transfer case and both differentials in my '02 2500HD Dmax/Ally CC. Got just over 45k on it, so I feel like it's about time for fresh juice. Gonna use Mobil1 synthetics in both axles and the transfer case. Looks like the rear diff. takes 4 quarts and the front take 1.75 quarts. Can't find anything that tells me how much the transfer case holds. Anyone know???

Also, if anyone has any tips or suggestions for doing this service work, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Maxdout

jbplock Guest

IIRC, Transfer case capacity is about 2 quarts - Dexron-III ATF. I replaced mine with Mobil-1 ATF. Also use a little teflon thread sealant on the transfer case plugs (mine had a white sealant on them from the factory).

[img]smile.gif[/img]

jb,

Looks like from your pictures, that there is a drain plug on both diffs. Is this true?!!! You mean I don't have to take the diff covers off anymore. It's been a while since I've done one, I'm used to the old dinosaurs.

maxdout

jbplock Guest

maxdout,

Yes, each diff has a drain plug ... no need to remove the cover on the rear diff..
    [img]smile.gif[/img]