Thread: How much ATF in the tcase?

I've got an 02 2500HD with the 6 liter and 4l80 trans. This weekend I was changing the fluid in my tranny to Amsoil synthetic and decided to do the tcase at the same time. But, like an idiot, I drained the tcase into the same pan as the tranny fluid was in, so since I didn't start with an empty pan I don't know how much fluid came out (doh!). I checked the manual, but that doesn't tell me anything, so I just filled it until it came back out the inlet hole. Took a few ounces less then 2 quarts. Does that sound right? Seems to me like it's a bit less then it should be.

Also, the threads for the inlet and drain bolts had some type of white sealer applied. Appeared to have been a paste. I scraped as much of it off as I could, and then used some plumbing teflon tape instead. I don't have any leaks, but wasn't sure if that was going to be a good enough sealer (don't know if somewhere in the future I was gonna have a problem).
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil

I used just under 2 for the transfer case on mine. Also had the white goo. Used thread sealer by Permatex.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

jbplock Guest

Jim,

I seem to remember that the capacity of the 2500HD transfer case is about 2 quarts. Regarding the sealant, I wouldn't use Teflon tape. The white sealant used at the factory is probably a Teflon paste that acts as a sealant and thread locker. Teflon tape isn't recommended for applications that are subject to vibration. The tape is a good sealer but it will not lock the threads. Maybe just keep an eye on your plugs to make sure they are tight then switch back to a thread sealant at the next change.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wink

Teflon tape is a pipefitters best friend. It is mostly used on tapered threads. Straight plugs with a sealing washer or "o" ring do not need sealer. It is not recommended for hydraulic fittings, fuel systems etc. because it can easily get into the system when making repairs. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

jbplock Guest

Dittos to what Lone Eagle said ...

Here is a link to some more interesting info regarding pipe threads and sealing.

http://www.parker.com/tfd/cat/pdffiles/F-pipe.pdf

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-24-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>