Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Transfer case hole and fix

Well it appears I have joined the masses (hundreds of thousands) of GM transfer case owners which have the famous pinhole leak on the right side of the tail shaft case and after much investigation happens to be a NV246. Thanks for putting all this information on the board here it really educated me about this issue!

My 1999 GM Suburban has 160,000 and I noticed a sound like a hub cap popping at about 25 mph a few weeks ago. The noise got irritating to the point I removed the outer rings on each wheel no luck. I put the vehicle up on 4 jack stands and put it in drive (transfer case chain noise) opened the drain plug and completely dry. Just had it checked at the dealer on the last oil change and it was full I found part of a broken metal clip?

I used JB weld as a temporary patch when I found the hole after refilling the case and replacing the tail sahft seal for the 5th time since owning it. I had no problems with the JB Weld going on three weeks but after reading all the post here I elected to get a rebuild from GM.

I contacted GM @ 1-866-453-4123 asking about this issue and what was done to resolve it. I was assured that if there was a hole found on the rebuild they would replace the tail shaft case in the rebuilding process. Parts guy at GM dealer was also told this.

Well I got my rebuild transfer case today and already being aware of why GM has gone belly up with continued lies lies lies. I immediately found the epoxy patch GM did and it was found in exact same location as the one I was replacing. I was pissed about this and so was the parts guy. I asked if the dealer could simply remove the tail shaft on the rebuild and send it back to GM to shove up GM's lying A#$h)les. Parts boss said no dice but I was given the option to spend another $400.00 for a new tail shaft case to go with the rebuild. Parts guy said he was posting a notice on their parts network advising all local area dealers what GM was doing. Other members of this board warned of this in other post of this very subject and I thank you!

It really does not matter in my opinion GM has burn't both ends of the candle by short changing customers for years with shoddy workmanship and crap like this. GM also tried to hide this patch by repainting the case with thick silver paint so it is hard to find unless you have patched the transfer case yourself and know where to look.

I now had two choices today after getting the rebuilt case. I could elect to keep my existing transfer case and replace the tail shaft case with the aftermarket part through Kennedy Diesel I bought. Or I could just install the so called rebuilt case I purchased through GM? Hmm

I reluctantly went with the rebuilt case today because of the warranty. I did ask the dealer to install the Kennedy spacer of which GM advised me would not affect the warranty. The dealer was impressed with the part as it fit exactly as shown on Kennedy Diesel site.

What is also interesting is that when the mechanics at the dealer separated the rebuilt case the same clip was found in the exact location where that patch was. I was there and witnessed this. I had removed the old clip and compared it to the new one. Nothing changed and another lie by GM. An advisory on the part list from the dealer advises this clip needs to be purchased in addtion to the rebilt case? Whoa how screwed up is GM selling the same clip not only included in the transfer case but advising you need to purchase another one?

Nope as for me I will never buy a GM again And I have been driving GM for over thirty years. GM is crying out to everyone they are reinvented?
    GM is just remastering the art of BS.
    Last edited by Hawker; 06-25-2009 at 12:18.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Well I got my rebuild transfer case today and already being aware of why GM has gone belly up with continued lies lies lies. I immediately found the epoxy patch GM did and it was found in exact same location as the one I was replacing. I was pissed about this and so was the parts guy.
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim

If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by mattb5150 View Post
    If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt

Yes you will need a retention clip for the front drive shaft and a gasket that goes between the transmission and the case housing. If they try to sell you the clip with the case housing that cost around 8 bucks tell them to make a key ring out of it. On second thought do not make a key ring out of it because you will most likely lose your keys when it breaks

Default GM Lies

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim
    Not a problem Jim it was obviously not a weld because when I saw the spot it was a smear. When we (dealership and I) split the case apart it had the same consistency and was obviously "pushed" into the hole. I am not a certified welder but have been around enough and worked with several epoxy compounds such as "unitex" to know the difference.

I had two other mechanics and the shop manager inspect the rebuilt case also they came to the same conclusion and have notified other dealers affliated with the Hendricks name what GM is doing. I elected to reveal the dealership owners because I trust them and have done business with them for years. Although apologetic they said there hands where tied regardless.

This besides the fact I had talked with the engineer at GM who was very familiar with the problem "assured" me on at least two seperate occassions in my conversation with him before I bought the rebuild new tail shaft cases where to replace the ones with holes when rebuilt.

Well see how the warranty works out with the in between old GM and new GM and how Barry Obama plans to honor my warranty should the transfer case fail within the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty