Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

mattb5150 Guest

Went in to local dealer today and talked with Service Manager. He basicallly told me "Should have bought an extended warranty". Thats BS Going to go by a trans shop near work where the owner has a Dma/Alli and see if he has any recommendations and what he would charge to change the rear case half.

Matt B.

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by mattb5150:
    Went in to local dealer today and talked with Service Manager. He basicallly told me "Should have bought an extended warranty". Thats BS Going to go by a trans shop near work where the owner has a Dma/Alli and see if he has any recommendations and what he would charge to change the rear case half.

Matt B.
    Try the following....
    http://www.transfercases.com/
    http://www.drivetrain.com/transferca...%20Model%20246

Well the story goes...bought my 02 d/a ,has lots of miles , 142,000 but drives like a dream. Passed 2 inspections...looks new. 1 day after it's home find a leak, tcase has 2 small holes, dealer removes and says inards are shot (4hi seemed to go in ok although I never tried 4lo). After some pressure from me dealer offered to rebuild on his dime or gm remanufactured unit with improved covers etc. for a few hundred. Took the reman of course. Hoping this is the end of the tcase issue for me. Luck to others with this.

Thought I would join the crowd,Bought my 2002 used D/A about 2 months ago, decided to change all fluids,none in transfer case!!Loose pump clip?? had worn hole in case.$1000 later new case installed,no internal damage lucked out there,sounds like a recurring problem!!! Shorty
    2002 Duramax/Allison,LS 4x4 Crew Cab Short bed , predator and EGT

I had a leak as well, but it turned out the gasket between the transmission and the transfer case failed.
    2002 D/A 4x4 Charcoal Gray Crew Cab. 285\'s and lovin it<br />Predator<br />JK 4\" exhaust installed

Well my gm reman tc went in yesterday and all is well. Tech said it certainly appeared to be a new unit. Came with all sensors and was a simple install. He also said it had a note from gm saying to use regualr atf , not the special(expensive) blue stuff gm was requiring for the old case, interesting. Test drove like a dream ...all is well, in and out of 4hi/lo no error codes. Time to be happy again.

Paul.

Arrow

Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
    ....He also said it had a note from gm saying to use regualr atf , not the special(expensive) blue stuff gm was requiring for the old case, interesting....
    The old transfer case should not have had "the special(expensive) blue stuff" in it. That's Autotrac II fluid, and only used in Autotrac transfer cases, and not available on any truck with the Allison tranny, even with push button 4x4. Push button 4x4 is just an electrically operated manual transfer case. The old transfer case should have been serviced with Dexron III ATF, and nothing else. Did the old transfer case have blue fluid in it?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Tech said the old one did have the blue fluid. So I wonder if incorrect service caused the unit to fail? Hmmm. Oh well, all prior to me owning it so it's fluid under the bridge ..gg.

mattb5150 Guest

Angry

Well I went by two trans shops this week and neither had heard of this problem before, not a good sign. Helena Trans, are there any bulletins or industry pubs on this matter.

I think I am going to take the truck back to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem and give me an estimate for repairs. I will also ask them to contact GM and report the problem. I want it in writing that they will not fix. Also noticed tonight when checking for more leakage that the fluid is getting onto the catalytic converter, wonder if GM will take notice now!

It seems these are all on 2002 trucks, does anyone else with another year have this problem as well?

Matt B.

mattb5150 Guest

Unhappy

Had the JB Weld smear done on the hole today for $200 at the stealership. They didn't even try to call it something else, receipt says fixed with JB Weld. The hole they covered didn't appear to me to be the source of the leak when I was looking at it and it was big, at least half the diameter of a pencil, 3cm+/-. The service writer told me over the phone that this fix has a 1 year 12k miles warranty. We'll see what happens, now I get to clean the bottom of the truck off this next weekend, especially the fuel cooler.

Matt B.

mattb5150 Guest

No apparent leaks after 300+ miles.

WOW, $200 to have JB weld installed. Just curious on why you did not try it yourself?
    2002 2500HD D/A LT SB CREW CAB CHARCOAL GREY/GRAPHITE,<br />LOADED EXCEPT AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL. J&J RUNNING BOARDS<br />PARAGON BED COVER, FUMOTO VALVE, CAB LIGHTS, TAILGATE LOCK, STEREO UPGRADES, DAKOTA DIGITAL GUAGES INSTALLED OVERHEAD.<br />69 BRONCO<br />76 BRONCO<br />77 BRONCO<br />BLOWN 98 GRAND PRIX

mattb5150 Guest

Cali,

Didn't try it myself due to pushpoles lasting only 70 miles. I took the truck to the dealer ultimately hoping that they would replace the case half but wanted to have the whole thing documented for future. Service writer called and suggested the JB weld and said that it would be warrantied for 12 months and 12k miles. I guess I thought it was worth it if I got the thing to not leak and have it be someone else's problem for a year. So far so good over 1,000 miles.

Matt B.

FJ40INTOW Guest

I'm not condoning GM doing this but JB Weld does work! I broke a tooth on the idler gear in my modified FJ40 Transfer case. The tooth went through bottom of case. It was my daily driver at the time so I fished the tooth out and JB Welded the hole closed. Drove 2 weeks that way until I could pull case and replace gear. I had a coworker weld the hole shut. Been using case for 3 years now. Case too thin to weld? I seen this guy weld coke cans together end to end with a tig welder with no holes.

I noticed a leak coming from the 4wd transfer case right at the 3rd bolt at the seal and know it is not trans because I just changed the transfer case fluid (gm 12378508) Auto-Track II, and it is a purple fluid.
    I have 66000 on a 2001 Durmax 2500hd. Would like to know if any similar problems and the est. cost to fix at dealer. I have a friend in the 4wd repair business, should I get est. from both?
    Thanks
    2001 2500HD Crew Cab SWB Western Diesel Chip, Fumoto, K&G air filter, Ranch Hand

Arrow

Your transfer case (either manual or pushbutton electric shift) requires 1.9 qts of Dextron ATF. You don't have an Auto Trac transfer case...

"3rd bolt at the seal" Is this where the transfer case bolts onto the Allison?

Has the transfer case been out of the truck before?

Jim

Jim
    In my 2001 diesel supplement manual on page 7-51 it has Auto-Trac II Fluid in the fluid lib past.
    The leak is coming from the 5th bolt from top out of 17 bolts about 1ft. in front of drive shaft.
    Transfer case has never been out of truck
    2001 2500HD Crew Cab SWB Western Diesel Chip, Fumoto, K&G air filter, Ranch Hand

Talking

Oh contrare....

There are a number of confusing issues regarding recommended fluids for these trucks.. However, this is one we're sure about....

Page 4-420 of the 2001 GM service manual lists the various requirements for the NVG 263 "Selectable" NP1 transfer case (the pushbutton version), as well as the NVG 261 2-speed manually shifted NP2 version.

Both transfer cases require approximately 2 qts Dextron III.

There are no "automatic" transfer cases used in the 2500HD/3500 trucks. Your choices are either 2-speed manual or "selectable".

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 08-08-2006 at 12:49.

Jim
    Thanks for explaining the transfer case ie. (manual and auto). I was confused because I thought the push button instrument panel was the automatic I understand that the Auto 4wd has the button "Auto 4WD" on the instrument panel. A 4wd expert I am not.
    In the photo you sent the leak is coming from one of the bolts shown, it is about 2 bolts lower, (behind the frame) in the photo.
    Thanks again. I will look for your reply.
    Steve

Arrow

You could do a search for leaks in this forum, but I don't recall a bolt leak (or near a bolt leak) on the transfer case. There have been case porosity issues with a few early Allison transmissions that resulted in leaks at a couple of bolts (behind the torque converter).

If this is out of warranty, I'd eliminate a possible case defect as a cause as a first step (i.e. crack etc.). If that's not the problem, I'd pull the offending bolts, then seal them using a bolt thread sealant (it's like Teflon pipe dope), and/or possibly install a copper washer (GM pn-10139097) under the bolt head.

The copper washer trick is how GM solved some of the early (pre 11/03 build dates) Allison bolt leaks.

Jim

PS. You are correct about the diesel supplement mentioning Auto Trac fluid for the transfer case..... My 2001 diesel supplement mentions the 6.5L diesel as well... Seems a few bugs found their way into the various books and manuals. I use Dextron in my truck's transfer cases. [img]smile.gif[/img]