Thread: Swap 6.5 drive train for 350 drive train?

I have a 1993 6.5 L turbo diesel in a crew cab dually and I surrender! I have a 1997 suburban with complete drive train and dash,steering,etc.
    I want to know if I can basically put the dash, motor,computer,transmission and transfer case out of the suburban in place of same in the dually? What about the brakes and what else would I need to consider? I know I am going to probably get a bunch of "why would you want to do that" . Lets just say I am getting tired of changing starters,tps,glowplugs,fuelpumps,batteries,injecto rs,starters,tps,glow plugs,fuelpumps,well I think you get the picture.I have had the truck since 125,000mi and it is at 176,000 and done( at least I am). I have a 1994 Suburban with 210,000 and still going strong with minumum problems,I thought diesels were for the long haul,shows what I know! But I do like the truck!

Come on help guys this one is about to bail!!!!

I think there would be a lot cheaper and less work with buying a different truck with a gas motor already in it. I see duallys with 454's go pretty cheap around here. Or you can go the F**D route like I did.
    02 ZR2 tracker<br />94 2500 6.5 TD suburban

ace58 Guest

With that kind of mileage, and the amount of work required, I also would look at getting a used gas truck.

markrinker Guest

Sell the diesel if you are fed up with it. Buy a gasser. The drivetrain conversion cannot/will not be cost effective.

Just remember, at high miles, you'll do plenty of componant replacement - gasser or diesel.

[ 03-16-2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Arrow

Just my opinion, but here are some thoughts to ponder.....

I always perform maintenance with an eye toward longevity - meaning if I install a new starter, I consider everything that can affect the life of that starter. As an example, I installed a brand new GM starter (not rebuilt) when the Project 6.5 went together. I had played the "guaranteed for life" rebuilt starter game a few years earlier, and replaced starter after starter on my 6.2. That new GM starter is still doing its job in the Project 6.5 after 158,000 miles and more than six years. The key to long starter life is quality parts, quality installation, and having an easy starting engine.

You could go down the list for just about any replacement part - from discount batteries to oddball glow plugs, alternators, auto parts store u-joints to cheap tie rods. I believe in doing it right the first time. This is why I do everything myself that I possibly can and begin with the best parts available.

A "guaranteed for life" starter is less than worthless if you're replacing it every few weeks or months.

MP

markrinker Guest

I agree with MP, and will add another thought if you use your Suburban for business purposes.

Early in my business, finances dictated that I was 'running and wrenching' to NAPA and Checker auto.

More often today, I rely on my local Goodyear or even GM Dealership to provide both name brand parts and labor, while I concentrate on making MORE MONEY.