Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purple Trans!

What do you guys think of the co-pilot running with the stock tranny? Worth it?
    2001 2500HD<br />4\" Banks Exhaust<br />EZ Amp/Edge<br />K&N Filter<br />285-75-16 Wrangler Silent Armor<br />16x8 Mojave Teflon AR Wheels

Arrow

The instructions included with the Co-Pilot actually recommend its use with a stock tranny as well, and suggests it'll add torque capacity to an undamaged transmission. If the tranny has been hurt by several slip/limp events, the glazed clutch plates might not allow the CP to help as much. So, it's best to add the CP before that happens. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MP

Kennedy Guest

I would say that the minimum upgrade should include torque converter, and clutches. The Copilot itself doesn't seem to do a lot in 5th gear. A higher psi main pressure also helps.

Thanks. If one had to upgrade incrementally, would the torque converter be the first thing to upgrade? Then clutches, then copilot?
    2001 2500HD<br />4\" Banks Exhaust<br />EZ Amp/Edge<br />K&N Filter<br />285-75-16 Wrangler Silent Armor<br />16x8 Mojave Teflon AR Wheels

Arrow

Pulled & replaced the ATS Allison on Tuesday to correct a fluid leak. It had what appeared to be at first blush a front input shaft seal leak that would drip 6-10 drops off the bellhousing after driving 10-20 miles. With input from ATS, JK, DmaxMaverick, an Allison engineer, Steve Overcash and our local GMC diesel tech I learned that the most likely cause was because one or more of the bolts located behind the torque converter wasn't sealing.

Since resealing the twelve related bolts (just to make sure I didn't miss one), the trans is now leak free (at least after a 30 mile run).

Not a lot of fun pulling the trans, but this did provide an opportunity to learn more about dealing with ATF leaks. I'll be working up a story about all this before long showing the part numbers for the related seals along with the procedure.

Jim

Kennedy Guest

After fixing your "gusher" on the side of the road, I figured I'd leave the light work to you. Sound like it was handled well!

That reminds me, I was supposed to send you something...

Arrow

Clamps....? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Amazing how quickly one can lose a couple of gallons of ATF after a cooling line comes loose.

Jim