I received the following message asking about how best to get the necessary parts. He asked:

"I would like to know where you obtained your Duramax engine and Allison tranny for the Duramax Diesel Power Project? Would the Duramax/Allison combo fit better on a 95 Burb with a straight axle conversion? Would surgery on the tranny tunnel in a Suburban allow the Duramax/Allison combo to fit in a 95 Burb?"

I obtained my engine/trans from GM. However, the best and least expensive way to get what you need is to buy a complete salvage truck. Complete salvage trucks are selling for $6500-8500 on up, depending on the condition of the wreck. This way, you would get everything you need to retrofit the new parts into an earlier vehicle, all at once, and you'll know where everything fits.

A body lift and/or a suspension lift would greatly simplify the installation, requiring the least amount of modification to the classic C/K Suburban (or truck).

Till I learn more about these conversions, I would plan on stripping the original wiring, fuse blocks, junction blocks and all original body/engine control modules from the original classic C/K. You'll need to install all of these components from the Duramax/Allison package.

The Project update planned for next month will go into more detail about wiring, modules, and adapting the original C/K steering column controls.

Good luck,

MP