Thread: July 1, 2004 Update

Arrow

Duramax Diesel
    Power Project
    -
    Engine Driven Fan & A/C Puzzle
    July 1, 2004 Update

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...roject2-18.htm

Until today, the engine had been running without a fan of any kind. Higher than normal engine temperatures had not been a problem, even while driving in stop-and-go city traffic on an 85 degree day. However, I knew it could get a lot warmer this summer, and I've yet to complete the A/C installation. A fan would become more important...

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

MP,
    When trimming the fan, aren't you risking throwing the assembly out of balance and thereby increased risk of premature bearing wear?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
    JP

CareyWeber Guest

Morepower,

The horn on my 97 can be mounted behind the drivers side headlight with out any trouble.

Carey

[ 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

Arrow

HH,

The blades are thin (lightweight) and I was very careful in removing the material (slowly taken off with a sander, one blade at a time to a fine cut line). With nine blades, I figure it'll equal out around the circumference. I can't detect any vibration...

Carey,

There is a second horn mounted behind the core support below the driver's side headlight area. Relocating the grille area horn to a lower position should be do-able.

After puzzling with the intercooler and the condenser, I understand now why GM re-designed the engine compartment the way they did in the new trucks. They moved the engine rearward in the new trucks, with a more inset firewall area. Getting more real estate in the grille area was the goal. The 1988-98 C/K just doesn't have the same amount of room.

MP