Thread: Its a D/A tow rig for me ...I think.

Well I've been looking and test driving for some time and Think I've found the unit that fits our modest budget. It's a 02 2500 hd ext cab d/a with lots of miles (220000 kms) In great shape. Dealer claims it was a pilot truck. No sign of 5er hitch/bracket holes,tie downs or any bed damage. It may have towed a tounge trailer ..hard to tell. I know this is high milage but its the only way I will afford a d/a for towing my 6000lb 5er over high passes(I'm surrounded by mountains). I'm a diesel newb...so go easy. My current 94 1500 5.7 gasser can't do the job. I abosultely love the way the d/a handles/rides and how the engine is quiet untill you mash the accel. I test drove a couple 01s...dodge and ford and found them unacceptably loud for the daily driver routine I need. Great tow vehicles I'm sure (the dodge reminded me of a mini semi)but no good for the townhome environment where I live. I'm having the truck inspected by a large volume chev dealer and it's passed the provincial used inspections (dealer replaced upper ball joints brakes and fluids). I'll get the chev dealer to do a vin search as well. Opinions? My wife will drive it as a daily commuter and she loved it after a test drive...very car like ride.

Thanks,
    Paul

Ahhh...the sounds of silence. GG. So a more direct question would be has anyone got up around this milage (est 170000 miles)with D/A. Anything specific to look for? My 94 5.7 has similar milage and drives great so I'm not sure if I'm just being overconfident. I keep hearing well maintained diesels can go .5 million miles...probably hype but gotta ask.

moondoggie Guest

Good Day!

Sorry, I don't know much of anything about D/A's, but no one else replied...

I'd see if the 200,000 mile injector warranty applies to your truck - I don't know if this warranty works in Canada or not. (It sure should, but...) My calculation says this truck has ~ 137K miles, which would leave you significant warranty room on the injectors, which I think they've had trouble with. My again vague understanding is they're reeeeeeeeeal expensive, so it's worth looking into.

You might try posting on the Duramax 6600 forum for more feedback.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

I have heard of several D-maxes well over the 200,000 mile mark. If the truck has been well maintained (LOF) on a regular basis, you should have no problems. First my '02 ext.cab 4x4 HD and now my '05 CC 4x4 HD is my wife's daily driver and she loves it. I think you and your wife will like it as well.

Thanks Guys. I'll post what I find from the service inspection...should be interesting.

Well my mechanic, who just happens to own an 05 D/A, gave my truck his blessing. Said it needed a tranny fluid/filter asap (goes in tommorrow) but otherwise in great shape for its milage. Some weepy seals at the rear end and transfer case but nothing bad. He said at half the price of a new truck I'm getting a great deal. I'm happy and signed the papers this afternoon...trucks in the driveway. New brake controller went in today, 5er hitch and tool box go in next week. My little 22ft 4500lb (dry)5er has a powerful tractor to pull up those passes now. Bye Bye white knuckles.

You should have no problems as long as the truck has been well serviced. There are several hot shot guys on here with more miles on their trucks than yours, and those trucks stayed hooked up...

Paul re: brake controler installation. Make sure you use wire loom plug-in for 2002 truck--they changed plug terminals in 2003. I transfered plug from 02 to 03(it plugged in OK) but trailer brakes locked up at highway speed with no warning. Check with Hitch shop if you are not sure which loom you are working with-they should know. Don`t rely on dealer for advice when it involves towing. Have fun with the truck.

Thanks Royalglen. Dealer is also a full service rv sales/service center (hitches all the rest) also selling used trucks...mostly deisels, they seem to know thier stuff.