Thread: oil press. gauge. Where to connect?

I am a new member of the diesel page and thank everyone for the quality information they share.
    I have recently read the 6.5 TD performance & maintenance manual Vol.1 This is one of the best tech. Pubs. I have ever read regarding the 6.5L motor. My question is in regards to my oil press. gauge which has become flakey. I have a vacant spot on my gauge pod so I picked up an autometer oil press. gauge and was wondering if anyone has installed such a gauge and where did you tap it in. The truck in question is a 1993 GMC 6.5L TD 3500. Thanks.

john8662 Guest

There are three places on the 6.5TD that you can tap into for oil pressure from the block. The location where the oil pressure gauge sender/switch is lcoated, at the rear drivers side of the engine. There is also a pressure port on the drivers side above the oil filter element. There is a plug in the block that you'll have to remove to use this port. Finally, there is a port on the block that is occupied by the oil lube supply line for the turbocharger.

So, you really have two good options, which will be buy some brass hardware and "T" into the connection before the turbo feed line or at the oil pressure sender unit (this one is the one I'd use).

You'll get better responces in the 6.5L section, which I'm moving this post to.

I purchased a "T" and located w/the oil pressure sender on the back drivers side top. I have an autometer gauge too.
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy

Thanks you guys. I'm really short on time, and well you guys know best. Thanks for the replys and for moving my post to the correct area.

1993 GMC 6.4LTD crew cab dually. 307,450 miles