Thread: Loosing Coolant

I loose 1 or 2 quarts of coolant every 2-3 months. Oil tests negative for glycol. Top hose is not pressurized on startup. Recently replaced potmetal coolant fitting that goes into the thermastat housing. Never had a problem before I used Water Wetter. Any ideas? If I replaced the coolant and got rid of the Water Wetter would it help? I use the truck to tow a large trailer and don't want to have a problem on the road.
    2001 Excursion 2WD V10 formerly owned 99 K2500 6.5TD Sub 4.10 8600 GVWR,Spearco Intercooler, JK Isspro guages,Hayden SD fan clutch, Racor 645 30 mic, clean cat, JK FSD cooler,JK Boost Ctrl,JK HL relay, Optimas, rblt trany & transfer case, B&M Tranny cooler w/fan,200k miles, Prodigy, 05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS.

DmaxMaverick Guest

Arrow

Water Wetter reduces the surface tension of the water in the coolant. This will facilitate a more rapid evaporation rate. If the coolant isn't going through the engine (which you have checked with the analysis), it's probably steaming off through the overflow tank vent. Less than 1 qt a month isn't improbable under this condition. If you had an internal leak, it would show glycol in the oil.

I suggest frequent oil analysis for a while. Drop the Water Wetter and watch the results.

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

I have had a couple of coolant leaks caused by lose hose clamps. I tighten them up and leak gone, leaks have been very slight an only when hot so it's hard to detect. Might give it a try 10 minutes is all it costs.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
    I have had a couple of coolant leaks caused by lose hose clamps. I tighten them up and leak gone, leaks have been very slight an only when hot so it's hard to detect. Might give it a try 10 minutes is all it costs.
    I second that. I only have leaks when I get the engine real warm (i'm using the winter cover now). I found a leak at a hose clamp. Tightened the clamp, and fixed the problem. I am also using water wetter, but because of all the hassle, I probably won't use it again.

After you have run the engine, run your finger under every end of every hose that has a clamp. if it is moist, it is leaking.

1 or 2 quarts in 2 or 3 months is about what I add to mine.I never concerned myself with that.You are probably using a 195* thermostat.A 180* might be more suitable for towing with any kind of load.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

I had a similar issue - turned out to be a hairline crack in one of the plastic "T"'s that feed coolant back to the rear heat exchanger lines. Could never find the coolant leak, but the wife kept calling with "The coolant light was on when I started it up!".

As it turned out, it was a slow drip into the valley of the engine - thus heat would evaporate it away, leaving no visible traces behind.
    97' C2500 GMC Suburban SLT