Thread: 94 Black Smoke

Splitrimz Guest

My 94 is blowing black smoke on acceleration. The air filter is clean. My Banks turbo boost gauge shows boost up to 5psi and then it holds right there. Is 5psi of boost normal for the 6.5TD or should it be more? The truck runs strong (at least to me) after I put a new lift pump and serviced the air cleaner. Now I have to get the black smoke cleaned up to pass emissions.
    Could pump timing be an issue? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Splitrimz.

i have been told you can run up to 7 boost without sending codes. pump timing can cause black smoke also
    94 6.5l turbo engine code f
    homemade fsd/pmd cooler
    k&n air filter
    many goodies coming soon,oil cooler lines and 3.5" exhaust
    lots of 67-69 camaros

damork Guest

Splitrimz
    Is it a 3/4 or 1/2 ton? Reason I ask is if it is a 1/2 ton and has EGR, there is a round gasket on in the turbo plenum under the EGR valve that if left out or failed, it will blow black smoke. The gasket in mine was left out by a dealer before I got wise to what was happening (by subscribing to Alldatadiy.

If not that, look at your Turbo vacuum lines and the wastegate connections. If the wastegate is not allowing boost, you'll get a lot of smoke.

I assume all intake filter connections have been checked and the snout inside the RH fender is not collapsing? - it was a problem for some.

Splitrimz Guest

Forgot to mention that the truck was a 1 ton dually. Regarding the wastegate, I checked the rod while idling and I cannot push it in either direction so I assume it is OK. The boost does rise quickly to 5 psi and holds there. I'll check to see if there is any collapse in the air induction path. Thanks!

DennisG01 Guest

How do you check for the collapsing air intake? Does my '98 have that intake tube? I know the incoming air comes in through the fender, but I never knew there was an actual tube/duct/hose inside the fender!

damork Guest

Go to John Kennedy's site - www.kennedydiesel.com - he had a picture posted of the snout that fits inside your fender.

These were known to collapse in some cases. I have a 95, so not sure if the newer ones had the same thing in but it is likely. Mines gone - little bit louder but no collapsing.

DennisG01 Guest

THAT LITTLE THING IS WHAT BRINGS AIR INTO THE ENGINE?!?!?!? I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm surprised no one has come up with a better aftermarket intake system!

Barry Nave Guest

Just remove it and be done with it