Thread: Vacuum Pump?

New to the board and just trying to keep my truck running on an island with very few diesel mechanics. been through the standard stuff. Now I have a very loud rattle coming from the alt. / vac pump side of the engine. Increases / decreases with rmp. It's not the main pulley. I did that last month.
    Do the vac pumps go bad? How do you change one? Local parts stores here don't stock them and the Chevy dealers on the island are absolutely no help.

Great site, it's getting me inspired to do some upgrades.

Any tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,
    Jesse
    Stock 1996 6.5 excab, long bed, 4x4

Welcome

Vac. pump do go bad and can still give you vaccum. I had a bearing go bad once. They can also lock up. Taking belt off,things to check.
    Tenchen pully,Alt,AC clutch,water pump,power steering,and vac pump.
    Not knowing how many miles you have on the truck but the most common noise is Alt. and vac. pump.
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Good Day!

Sometimes you can use a REALLY long screwdriver as a stethoscope to isolate where a noise is coming from.

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

Thats the way my vacuum pump sounded before it died.
    2001 Excursion 2WD V10 formerly owned 99 K2500 6.5TD Sub 4.10 8600 GVWR,Spearco Intercooler, JK Isspro guages,Hayden SD fan clutch, Racor 645 30 mic, clean cat, JK FSD cooler,JK Boost Ctrl,JK HL relay, Optimas, rblt trany & transfer case, B&M Tranny cooler w/fan,200k miles, Prodigy, 05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS.

Thanks guys!
    The truck has 140K. I changed the alt. at about 100K. I'll try the long screwdriver trick. If I take the belt off and spin the vac pump it feels... like a pump. Easy then resistance, but there is noise as I rotate it. The alt just squeaks a little.
    What's the best manual for this truck? Got the Chilton 28624 and the Haynes 10330. They don't say much about vac pumps. How do you get it off and what do you change? The whole deal w/ the pulley or just the guts of the pump?

Thanks again.
    Stock 1996 6.5 excab, long bed, 4x4

You will get the pump and the pully will have to be pressed off and pressed back on.
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

You can also just buy the "pod", the actual crimped can unit with the diaphragm inside. It bolts to the drive part of the pump with either 2 or 4 little bolts, depending upon when it was built.

That saves a little $$$, and the need for a special puller to remove the drive pulley, and reinstall it on the new pump.

And, yes, those things can make the damnest noises when they fail. When mine went, last fall, my first thought was a failed rocker arm!

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

surprised no body have suggest this:

If it is your pump consider dumping the pump and getting a TurboMaster and replacing the wastegate control with it, it's the only thing the vacuum runs and then you can remove the pump and put a 1993 belt on. No move maintaince for the vacuum system.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Default Belt Size

I no longer use the vac pump on my 96, and was thinking of removing it. I have seen several suggestions as to which belt size to use. Is the one for the 93 a good number ???
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

Just wanted to mention that I offer the pump with a new pulley installed. If you have noise it's possible that the whole shaft assy is going bad. Also, most of those who complain about multiple replacements went with cheap aftermarket reman/pods. The OEM stuff is pretty darn solid, in fact, yours may be original. I prefer to keep the ECM in charge of boost whenever practical as it is actually a smarter system in many ways. Far from perfect, but does well.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 02-28-2006 at 08:21.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby
    I no longer use the vac pump on my 96, and was thinking of removing it. I have seen several suggestions as to which belt size to use. Is the one for the 93 a good number ???
    Hey Scooby;

Thats what I put on my '95 and no problems, one less system to maintain and fail.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81