Thread: Straight Exhaust?

Default Straight Exhaust?

Has anyone ever tried this? Would it be WAY too loud? Does the motor require back pressure? With a turbo I would assume not?

I'd like some rumble in my truck! I've got the pyrometer installed with the edge programmer.

What is considered a safe or cool EGT? Mine rarely gets to 1200, very hard to get it there with stock exhause in highest mode.
    2005 GMC Black SB CC LT 4x, 285's, Stainless Boards, Blk windows, Juiced, Stainless Grill, Mirror Covers, Protective Clearshield On Hood, paulnelson@crosslake.net

Default Do It!!

Quote Originally Posted by All-tuned-up
    Has anyone ever tried this? Would it be WAY too loud? Does the motor require back pressure? With a turbo I would assume not?

I'd like some rumble in my truck! I've got the pyrometer installed with the edge programmer.

What is considered a safe or cool EGT? Mine rarely gets to 1200, very hard to get it there with stock exhause in highest mode.

I love staight piped Diesels!! They can be kinda loud....but very cool sounding IMHO...

As far as EGT's are concerned...just try and keep it at or below 1250F for extended periods of time. I have rode with a few crazy nuts with LB7's that have buried the needle on the pyro pulling heavy trailers in a competitive situation...Those trucks are still on the road.

Chris
    1999 F-250 PowerStroke Crew Cab Short Box Lariat 4X4
    Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned By Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 4X4
    Stock for now...
    My Gallery

My 03 had a straight pipe. I liked the way it sounded. May be a little loud for some. I know the DMAX with a straight pipe is no where near as loud as a straight piped dodge.

My neighbor has flowmasters on his truck(gasser) and likes to rev it up at all hours day and night. So, I will be straight piping my 06 as soon as I know it won't set a check engine light. (some 05's did this)
    David Proske #418
    '06 CHEVY LBZ 2500HD CC LWB
    '03 GMC 2500HD D/A *sold* :-(
    '94 K2500HD W/GV OD

I had the muffler cut out of my 2003, and its kind of loud but not as bad as you would think. Its a pretty cheap way to get pretty good sound out of the truck. I think I paid $40 to have the muffler cut out and a pipe welded in its place.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD EC-SB Dmax/ZF6

Default Straight Exhaust

I'm thinking out with the Catalytic converter, and out with the muffler, then, I want to compare my EGT's with someone with a four inch, to see, what the real restriction is....
    2005 GMC Black SB CC LT 4x, 285's, Stainless Boards, Blk windows, Juiced, Stainless Grill, Mirror Covers, Protective Clearshield On Hood, paulnelson@crosslake.net

FYI most new trucks with cats will set codes if the cat is removed.... it set a low flow code for the EGR valve If I recall..... My 2001 lb1 truck had a 4" system from the middle of the down pipe back , sounds great. Not real loud with a strait threw muff , strait pipe without a cat doesnt sound that cool IMHO.... Just noise , although its not real loud.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

The ones that come by my house, if they are accelerating and they usually are, its really loud, the pop that comes out of the pipe each time the engine fires is louder than any gasser I've heard with straight pipes. Unless you've got some money to donate to the local law engorcement, I woundn't advise using straight pipe. In fact due to noise pollution everywhere, I wouldn't advise it. Ever be in the mountains and listened to the exhaust brake of a truck for an hour before it finally came by? I doubt if there is any power advantage over a good exhaust system. JK could probably speak to that. One more thing if running a long distance, that loud gets pretty monotonous after a few hours of listening through your favorite tunes.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default Straight Exhaust

All-tuned-up

I am running John Kennedy's system. It consists of a 4 inch mandrel bent system but has a free flowing muffler. The sound is very tame in the noise department. You can hear the turbo whistle quite well, but while driving it, it's almost not noticeable. And the seat of the pants feel with respect to throttle response is nothing short of amazing. When outside the truck or when going under a bridge, you can tell that it's not stock. It has a little rumble.

The system from John that I had on my 94 was entirely different. Again 3.5 mandrel bent and free flowing muffler. Inside the truck was a very nice tone. Loud enough to know it was there. The wife hated the drone at highway speed. The part that was obnoxious was if you sat in another vehicle and that truck passed you. There was no way you could mistake it for being stock. In fact, I passed my wife pulling our horse trailer and she said it scared the crap out of our kids in the back seat. I liked it, my wife hated it.

Mind you, the D-Max is not obnoxious like the 6.5 was. But I really like it. I can actually listen to the XM without hearing the roar. I would definately look into John's system.

If you want, you can stop by and listen to it. Even go for a drive. I see your from MN. I'm 40 minutes straight west of the Twin Cities, so if you get into the cities at all during your travels, I'd be more than happy to show it off.

Waldo
    05 K3500 D/A Crew - Sport Red and sexy! JK exhaust and filtration, guages and EFI Live. What a blast!

71 K20 awaiting Cummins 12v swaps

For Sale: Deep Sump Trans Pan for a 4L80E

The motor does not require back pressure. You will have a little more turbo lag with a straight pipe. Mine is straight from the cat back it is loud when accelerating hard or pulling a hill with no noticable difference at empty crusing speeds.

Default Replies

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the time, I think I'll look for John here some time this SUmmer, I'm thinking of buying a bar tomorrow for $640k, money might be a little tight for a while.

Just want some rumble out of my truck, I'm a kid at heart!!

And I want to lower some EGT's to be safe....