Thread: Engine cuts off.....

Question

I own a 1996 6.5 td, and recently have experienced a problem. I have 170 000 km. on it. While driving the truck at about 30km an hr, it just turned itself off. Its happened to me about 3 times, in the last two months.. The funny thing is that I put it in park turn the ignition, and it starts right away. I then have no problems for about 2-3 weeks. Could this be some kind of cut off solenoid switch, and why?? Anyway, looking for some help, thanks guys. BIG BAD... MONTREAL

Sounds like PMD/FSD going bad.
    I had the same thing when mine started to go.
    Can you get at it to check the transistor screws?
    I'm sure those that know a lot more than me will have other suggestions.
    Fred
    98 GMC 2500sierra reg.cab 2WD 3.42 gear, capped long bed 60,000K<br />uniflo af,<br />isspro gauges EGT, Boost, T Temp,<br />jk FSD cooler<br />jk 3.5 exhaust & downpipe,<br />tt crossover<br />heath turbo-master<br />max e tork 2<br />derale 25k tranny cooler<br />19 ft. mallard travel trailer

Barry Nave Guest

Sounds electrol, Key switch? Moving gear lever may move contact.
    I'd do a once over cleaning of all grounds,contact points of wire looms.
    Could be the FSD, though once an fsd starts going it will stall then start yet get worse in a short time, not be alright for awhile.

I'm at about the same mileage on a '94. For the past three years, since owned, I've had a "bump" in a low rpm, high torque situation while in OD. (Going up hills, cruise control, etc.)

Recently, its started to really buck once or twice then cut off. Thought I had lost the pump altogether. I would pull over and it would start OK and drive fine afterwards.

I tried drive instead of overdrive up through 45-50 mph and it seems to work OK.

Folks here looked me up on a VIN search and have told me I'm on my fifth pump. Logic makes it seem like the pump is being "told" to shut off or has a loose connection. More info would be great!!
    David Hart<br />Greenville, SC<br />\'94 Blazer - 125K miles<br />Air box mods, K&N Filter,<br />Straight 3\" exhaust.