Thread: install of pyro and boost guages, where?

Default install of pyro and boost guages, where?

New to this forum, and I am installing a pyrometer and boost guages in 93 crew cab dually, 5 speed, need to know correct location to install the probes.

Quote Originally Posted by ahorseaholic View Post
    New to this forum, and I am installing a pyrometer and boost guages in 93 crew cab dually, 5 speed, need to know correct location to install the probes.
    Boost goes into the intake. The side of the plenum is a good place. If you pull the top off, you can do it without pulling the entire intake if you are very careful about not dropping metal shavings into the intake.

Pyro can go before or after the turbo. After-turbo temps will be 200-300 degrees cooler than pre-turbo, so you need to keep that in mind. I have mine installed in the manifold just below the inlet for the turbo. Search here and you will find several threads about drilling and tapping it without pulling the manifold.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

The Pyro probe in my Yukon was just 2" below the left exhaust manifold in the crossover pipe. It had the benefit of a full blast of the left cylinder bank going to the turbo. Some discussions indicate it is the best location because putting the pyro in the RH manifold under the turbo may get slightly cooler exhaust due to what is coming through the crossover pipe. I was always successful in a very accurate reading using the VDO Pyro gauge and it was usually running 550F on most highway cruises.
    350k+ miles of 6.2/6.5 experience

Pyro is most accurate right below the LH exhaust manifold outlet in the X pipe.

The boost pressure tap is easily drilled and tapped into the air hat.
    Just unbolt it from the manifold and break the large hose loose at the turbo outlet.
    You can then take the air hat to the bench to work on it. Drill and tap a 1/8" pipe thread in the back side of the round portion that goes over to the turbo.

You can be sure this way of not dropping anything into the manifold.

Blow the air hat out and reinstall.

The gauge kit should have enough plasitc tube to reach this easily. If not the stuff is cheap.

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY