Thread: Magnaflow XL or MBRP Aluminized??

Default Magnaflow XL or MBRP Aluminized??

Which one guys? I'm not interested in bling. Don't even want a polished tip. Just looking to let my truck breathe a little easier. Cost is somewhat of an issue, mostly because I don't want or need a shiny system for my truck, so I see no need in paying the price.

Primary concerns: 1) Sound. I don't want a nasty drone, especially on the highway. Not much concerned with the sound outside, just want it fairly tame in the cab. 2) Performance. I want something that flows as well as possible. I know that it's a trade-off for sound.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. I have to tell you that I'm leaning toward Magnaflow simply due to the fact that it's available locally. The MBRP is a couple hours away. I want something I can hear before I buy and hopefully take a test ride as well.

maxdout

Default Mbrp!!!!!!!!!

maxdout,

Basically the same except the MBRP or AFE we carry will cost you less! Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

You probably won't find mine locally, but I do have a relatively quiet system with less joints than most and stainless band clamps on the pipe joints.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks for the response guys. I know all 3 of you have a lot of knowledge to offer. I like the JK system and it's probably the best built, but it's a little more expensive than what I'm looking to spend. I've heard good things on the other systems, just not sure what the sound is like. The sound clips are great, but the ones that I've found don't give you a feel for the interior noise level.

John and Mark, I'll probably be in contact with the two of you in the next few weeks.

One question, and I know this has been beat to death, but, it's there any noticable gain in fuel mileage with the combo of exhaust and intake system? I don't drive like a maniac anymore, finally grew out of it. Or, maybe fuel just got too expensive. I've been running 285 Revo's, got about 50k on them now and it's time for a new set. Going back to 265/75/E tires for the new set. Looking for a mile or 2 per gallon maybe. Not expecting miracles.

Another quick one. I know this is getting long. I'm using a UNIFilter in the stock box that I bought from JK a coupe years ago. Is there a really significant difference in this and using the AFR stage II?

Thanks again guys,

David maxdout Walker

I realize that this is probably a lot more more than you want to spend, but this may be your best option for your quiet cab with maximum performance requirements.

http://www.4x4review.com/cool-prod/corsa-exhaust.asp

and

http://www.corsaperf.com/duramax.htm

There's a lot of info out there (also from people here who bought it) all saying the same thing, quiet but with similar performance to other HP exhaust systems. It seems to be the only 4" straight through that's as quiet as stock. It's cat back (if you have a cat), but they also sell a down pipe separately.

I think most people prefer the aggessive sound of other systems, but, if you want a quiet system, Corsa's patented sound cancelling (whatever they do) is getting some very favorable reviews.

Which model (engine) are we dealing with here? Sorry if I missed it. I can get the lesser systems as well from AFE, Magnaflow, MBRP etc.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Sorry about that. It's an '02, so it's LB7. I have a Hypertech and a UNIFilter and that's it. I know, I know, the Hypertech's junk, but it's what I've got. Primary use is for tire size. Keep it on low setting most times just for a wake up of the motor. Not racing or showing my arse, just seems to make driving a little more effortless. Right now it's on the #2 setting, just trying to find best economy. Had it on 3 a couple weeks ago and it dropped mileage by about 2.

maxdout

P.S. John, if I buy a intake kit, it'll be the AFE stage II. No sense in playing around with that, filtration is far too important. And if your spending the money for that, it's not that much more. At least that's my take on it.

Smile

i am looking for an exhaust upgrade for my 05 gmc i like the MBRP but i cant decide on the single or the dual set up .I would like to know if one system is better than the other. am leaning toward the duals,i have the edge w/attitude and think the exhaust needs to be upgraded.

My personal take on it is this:

Single: The LB7 combined with the small diameter, short MBRP muffler will likely require addition of the MBRP resonator if you want a truly quiet rig.

Duals: The MBRP duals have considerable low frequency "buzz" in the cab on an LB7. This was in the truck on the dyno with long pipes to eliminate the noise from the outlets. This seemed to be a resonance that traveled through the chassis. The LLY may be a bit less noisy as the variable turbo tends to help tone things down. Personally, I feel the dual are best left to the gassers.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Default Mpg

maxdout,

If you can get air thru the enigne it will help MPG, now were not talking about 10 MPG or anything like that though. Lost of customers have claimed 3/4-2 MPG gains though.

A Stage II systems will flow a lot more air and if you get the Pro Guard 7 it'll protect your engine too!

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

Default Duals or singles!!!

weldinfool,

The main difference is that it looks great and you can smoke out folks at lights from both sides!! There is a slight, and I mean slight, EGT difference but it's really a looks item. Plus you get to hear it better as the dives side has a pipe exit too! Give us a call if ytou have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Kennedy,

I guess one of the main things that I was concerned with was
    are there any real differences as far as performance between the single and the dual exhaust systems.I usually leave in #2 position towing or not, every now and then i go to level #3 or 4 bot the egt's go up very fast so i try to keep it to a minimum.

oh yeah

I'm not that concerned about the in cab noise levels being super quiet.

Default In the same boat, but finally chose..........

I was in the same boat as you were. I wanted to upgrade my '04

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Craig
    maxdout,

If you can get air thru the enigne it will help MPG, now were not talking about 10 MPG or anything like that though. Lost of customers have claimed 3/4-2 MPG gains though.

A Stage II systems will flow a lot more air and if you get the Pro Guard 7 it'll protect your engine too!

Mark @ DPPI
    I looked at your website and couldn't find any exhaust systems for a '96 GMC t-ton...
    1996 Silverado 6.5LTD 3500 Crew-Cab Dually 4x4. 145k miles. Installed EGT, Boost, Oil Temp, and working on Trans Temp gauge. 4" Exhaust. *Currently DEAD*

Default 96 Exhaust

JSteward,

We don't have them listed for the 6.5/6.2's but we have them. Just call us and we'll be glad to get you any info you need.

Mark @ DPPI

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Craig
    JSteward,

We don't have them listed for the 6.5/6.2's but we have them. Just call us and we'll be glad to get you any info you need.

Mark @ DPPI
    Sorry, but I bought a system from another company. Had you listed the exhaust system on your website, you'd have gained at least one more sale. No tellin' how many other people did like I... looked at your site since you contribute to "thedieselpage," but since your website says you don't carry it, they went to another company. Why waste time calling in whenever the site already states you don't carry it.

...just a thought.

-Stew
    1996 Silverado 6.5LTD 3500 Crew-Cab Dually 4x4. 145k miles. Installed EGT, Boost, Oil Temp, and working on Trans Temp gauge. 4" Exhaust. *Currently DEAD*

Default Magnaflow!!!!

We just came out with a new exhaust line. Check Out this link:http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...eriespopup.htm

I have the 4" Magnaflow XL system (see sig) and it seemed to lower the EGT's by roughly 100F across the range. No noticeable increase in in-cab noise or mpg's. I cared much more about the better function than the looks. I have the single exhaust. I did not like the duals when towing.

P.S. I did order SS band clamps from Summit Racing.

Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)