Thread: Injection pump-rebuild or replace?

Default Injection pump-rebuild or replace?

I don't have many problems with the pump now, just 2 running codes. I know I'm beginning the early stages of pump failure, so should I rebuild or replace? The old ODO says 196xxx miles. Truck is a bit long in the tooth. It's had a hard life and I know nothing of the maintenance on the motor in the past. Other than the green tag, I can't say much. What's your opinion? Finding someone to do the work may be a hassle as well as the guy who changed my headgaskets has retired(as far as I know). Changing the pump may not be all that bad, but resetting the timing and computer I can't do. Is there a source for ip's? I know new they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Is it worth rebuilding or should I just get one that's already rebuilt?
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?

Tough call. At 200K miles the truck is a gamble all around. Unless you plan on just fixing things as they wear out and keep on driving it.

Purchased Rebuilt's have always been a gamble in my mind. Who knows what the core was treated like. Some might say they wouldn't rebuild it if something was out of spec but how far in spec was it??? All depends on the source of rebuild.

I can't say whats best for you. For that many miles truck if I felt lucky and was doing work myself I might try to find a used lower miles IP on ebay or other source then have a good qualified IP shop go through it clean, fix, calibrate as needed. I don't know actual $$ for IP refurb. Where I work we generally rebuild measuring equipment like this: The invoice is written repair equipment to A-1 condition cost not to exceed 50-70% (depending on equipment and costs) of new unit cost.

A repair shop is not going to want to warranty work unless they know parts source etc. Then might only warranty craftsmanship of repair???

At 200K you should also look at other things to replace that would be important with new IP. Timing chain, injectors glow plugs water pump while you are there.

The first 100K miles of a diesel's life they are relatively inexpensive to operate after that all bets are off. Used is all I can afford so its maintain and fix as I go.

On edit: Might want to get more input on what should be replaced at 200K. The above couple of items I would think are a minimum. But between that list and an all out rebuild might be needed. Depends on my wallet and how catastophic a failure is where or not I replace other parts and consider labor savings of while I am there thinking.
    Last edited by Hubert; 04-18-2006 at 14:36.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.