Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after market exhaust

Default after market exhaust

I recently put edge w/attitude great mod on my 05 GMC next in line is an exhaust upgrade.this is where it gets fuzzy for me

aluminized vs 409 vs 309
    single vs duals
    catback vs turbo back
    x brand vs y brand vs z brand
    code eliminator........when do you need one
    seems like the perverbial can o worms.
    i know i want to lower egt and improve performance, along with improved sound, but what else is there to be gained or lost? is it worth the effort and expense?
    I pull a travel trailer,alot, sometimes 800 miles plus.pull a boat and utility trailer,and i really like to see the look of some kid in a so called hot rod get waxed by a diesel 4x4 4 door truck love my ride but i think it could be a little better and i want to make it last at least untill its paid 4 so any and all input would be greatly apppreciated

Arrow

The good exhaust system dealers who run what they sell will have a solution for EGR codes "if" yours is affected. Might be a good idea to ask first. Several of the vendors listed in the Advertisers Page also offer exhaust systems. Give them a call...

Stainless or aluminized? Unless you detail the underside of your truck, they'll all look alike in a few weeks anyway. Each will last the same length of time (likely longer than you'll own the truck).

I'm considering going to a polished stainless shorty muffler and tailpipe on Lil Red just for the bling...

Jim

Default Exhaust?

weldinfool,

Well it depends on what truck you have LB7, LLY LBZ etc, not all of them need any foolers for the exhaust to stop a CEL, your signature didn't say what you had etc. Call us if you want, the discussion on aluminized, 409 and 304 can get really long and it really depends on you and how the truck is used and how long you intend to keep it etc. We stock all the MBRP and AFE systems in aluminized 409 and 304 and will be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

Couple of quick comments:

Duals are loud. Regardless what anyone says they are loud. Also after seeing a set of MBRP duals smoke out the tailpipe joints while running open exit on the dyno, I'm not convinced that they are even equal to the performance of a single.

Cats hold heat. They also reduce flow. A full system is the best if you can get away with it. The Blocker pkg on my site will be necessary to nix codes if the cat is removed.

LLY Emissions:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du..._Emissions.htm

Dyno proven performance:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photoga...xhaust_lly.htm
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

so how does the diablo work for the egr system?
    05 D/A CC LB LT SRW 4X4 Dark Gray Metallic -- Amsoil 2 stage air filter -- Amsoil 15w40 Oil--Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Oil Filter -- Banks Monster Exhaust -- Amp Research Power Steps -- Prodigy---XM Radio -- HiJacker 21K 5er Hitch -- Primo Spray Bed Liner -- 05 Grand Juction 4 slides 39ft 5er -- Honey Keep It Under 15,500 Please

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Diesel
    so how does the diablo work for the egr system?
    I like the sound of Kennedy's exhaust on the LLY and LB7 the best.

Diablo turns the codes off so you can block the EGR.
    Twin Turbo LLY

EFI Live Tuned by Me
    11.8 @ 118+ 1/4 on #2 only

Default Duals vs Singles

Kennedy,

Hey John, if they were leaking at the joints then the clamps were not tightened enough. As far as HP or EGT and or restriction on duals vs singles on dyno's that I have seen you can usually see a slight (very slight) EGT drop on duals as compared to singles. It's very, very difficult to verify and duplicate exactly each time but having done it quite a few times I am pretty convinced it's there! Now it's not enough to matter but it does show that at the very worse the duals and the singles are equal restriction wise. I didn't notice that they have been any louder either, just that you have volume from two sides vs just one. Which also happens to be so the driver can hear it better etc.

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

So if I unplug my egr and use my diablo setting for the egr well I still need to put the blocker plate in ? Thanks JD
    05 D/A CC LB LT SRW 4X4 Dark Gray Metallic -- Amsoil 2 stage air filter -- Amsoil 15w40 Oil--Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Oil Filter -- Banks Monster Exhaust -- Amp Research Power Steps -- Prodigy---XM Radio -- HiJacker 21K 5er Hitch -- Primo Spray Bed Liner -- 05 Grand Juction 4 slides 39ft 5er -- Honey Keep It Under 15,500 Please

The truck in question belongs to another shop owner so I'd expect that the clamps were tight. I dislike ubolt clamps as they do not seal.

All I had to do was start the truck on the dyno and I knew it was "loud" compared to others. My guess is that the amount of additional surface area just resonates more and can be "felt" in the vehicle.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Diesel
    So if I unplug my egr and use my diablo setting for the egr well I still need to put the blocker plate in ? Thanks JD
    There are those who believe that the EGR will blow open, so they put the plate in as insurance. Personally, with a stock trans I don't see it happening and having made numerous dyno runs on my 2005 with big power I have seen no difference with the before/after.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Well thanks Mr Kennedy. I well unplug my egr this weeked and retune diablo to take care of the codes. Thanks for your help and service. JD

Default 7HP and better sound.... hmmm..

I am as fast as my buddies 2004. All I have is Edge /attitude. He has Banks exhaust and his truck sounds a lot better but to me it's not worth spending 800 bucks for 7HP... That's what he gained on the Dyno. Also his EGTs only dropped by like 150 degrees. My EGTs have never even hit 1000 with it on the #4 setting. I haven't pulled anything yet but when I do i'm only gonna be using the #1 setting so the temps should be fine there too. I'm thinking just swapping out my stock muffler will add some sound and allow more air flow. Should know more mid week. Had this truck 4 years and never did anything but drop in an K&N.. now I can't seem to stay off of EBAY.

Default Allison tranny upgrades

I was told that there was a allison upgrade for shifting. I was told that it bolted behind the tranny filter. Is this correct?
    2007 GMC 2500 crew cab LBZ
    6.6L duramax
    Roof markers and XM radio
    Rhino liner
    Plat series nurf bars
    Putco bed rails
    Truxedo bed cover
    edge juice W/ monitor temp uninstalled.
    Hypertech stage 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Craig
    weldinfool,

Well it depends on what truck you have LB7, LLY LBZ etc, not all of them need any foolers for the exhaust to stop a CEL, your signature didn't say what you had etc. Call us if you want, the discussion on aluminized, 409 and 304 can get really long and it really depends on you and how the truck is used and how long you intend to keep it etc. We stock all the MBRP and AFE systems in aluminized 409 and 304 and will be glad to help you.
    Mark @ DPPI
    As the above quotes states, it depends on how & most importantly where you use your truck & goes far beyond on how the exhaust ends up looking like.

Both my friend and I have boats which we drop into the ocean by trailer. He had aluminized & I have stainless. His truck exhaust is already showing signs of corrosion due to the salt water & will be replacing it very soon with stainless, and mine is still corrosion free, so just be aware of your usage.

Mike

Question

Question? If I just remove the cat and keep the stock muffler and system in place on the 06 LBZ, will it help lower EGT's and will it be any louder? I am really spoiled with the quiet system on this new truck.

Question after market exhaust

John, are you saying if i go to a 4" exhaust and remove the cat I'll start getting malfunction codes??????????? '05 LLY / Allison Dually 3500

Default Exhaust

I have an 01 truck with no modifications. Just purchased a larger 5th wheel. The old 5th wheel ran around 9,250 lbs and this is 11,750lbs. Would a name brand 4" exhaust be needed? If the truck is not pulling it is sitting in the garage and driven every other weekend.

If I were to add exhaust, on an average, how much will the egt drops? What other benefits are there to adding exhaust? Why didn't GM do this from the start if this is better for our motors?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcwhitsitt
    John, are you saying if i go to a 4" exhaust and remove the cat I'll start getting malfunction codes??????????? '05 LLY / Allison Dually 3500
    Yes.

Try reading here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du..._Emissions.htm

The LBZ acts very similarly, but it's been my experience that regardless of emissions group it will likely set codes/SES light at some point.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

The 4" turbo-back exhaust and AGE intake made a difference in temp's while towing on level #2. I pull some tall and steep mountains out here in the west so every 100 degrees is helpful. I can also hear the turbo spooling up around town and that is cool.
    '03 D/A Crewcab
    Edge/Attitude
    Banks turbo back 4" exhaust
    AFE intake
    Airbags
    10,000# Travel Trailer

Default Recently added 4" Exhaust

I recently added a Magnaflow, turbo-back, 304 SS exhaust and installed lap joint band clamps at the joints instead on the included U-bolt type clamps.

I have noticed lower EGT's by about 100-200 degrees F around town. I am anxious to see the difference when towing the TT. I used to see as high as 1350F when towing up mountains.

The exhaust has not set the SES light, yet. I will check for codes in the next few days with the tuner. I am real happy with the exhaust and it seems to be a heavy gauge (sturdy) of SS.

I will let you guys know my observations when towing the TT.

Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)