Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after market exhaust

Default 304 Stainless

jsmiracle,

Hope this doesn't upset you as it's not intended that way at all. Magnaflow doesn't have a 304 system, they use 409 and 436. Lots of their dealers/jobbers say it's 304 but it's not. Hope this doesn't ruin your afternoon.

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

Default Quieter??

Quote Originally Posted by cowboywildbill
    Question? If I just remove the cat and keep the stock muffler and system in place on the 06 LBZ, will it help lower EGT's and will it be any louder? I am really spoiled with the quiet system on this new truck.
    cowboywildbill,

Yes it will lower EGT's but you are waaaaay better off getting a cat back system and leaving the cat alone. You'll get more EGT drop and if the cat is in place the cruising sound level will be very very close to stock, when you wail on it it'll wake up some but is not loud to most folks. If you pull the cat it'll be louder and the EGT's will drop even more.

Mark @ DPPI
    DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS INC. 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM WE GUARANTEE OUR PRICES, PERIOD! MBRP EXHAUST SYSTEMS, EDGE PRODUCTS, SMARTY, AUTO METER GAUGES and MOUNTS, DiPRICOL GAUGES, SUPER CHIPS MICRO TUNERS, DIABLO PREDATOR PROGRAMMERS, AFE INTAKE & EXHAUST SYSTEMS, PML ALUMINUM TRANS PANS and DIFF COVERS, VAN AAKEN PERFORMANCE MODULES, TS PERFORMANCE, POWERSLTO ROTORS, HAWK BRAKE PADS, FASS SYSTEMS by DPP, SUNCOAST TRANSMISSIONS, BOSCH INJECTION SNOW WATER METHANOL SYSTEMS, BULLY DOG PRODUCTS, ARP Studs, FLUIDAMPR, STANADYNE ADDITIVES.

Default Benefits!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigO
    I have an 01 truck with no modifications. Just purchased a larger 5th wheel. The old 5th wheel ran around 9,250 lbs and this is 11,750lbs. Would a name brand 4" exhaust be needed? If the truck is not pulling it is sitting in the garage and driven every other weekend.

If I were to add exhaust, on an average, how much will the egt drops? What other benefits are there to adding exhaust? Why didn't GM do this from the start if this is better for our motors?

Thanks
    BigO,

The turbo will spool up sooner and the EGT will drop as well as a nicer deeper tone are the benefits. The factory does what they have to do make the stock truck operate to a level that they want to advertise it at, nothing more or less.

Mark @ DPPI

Red face I messed up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Craig
    jsmiracle,

Hope this doesn't upset you as it's not intended that way at all. Magnaflow doesn't have a 304 system, they use 409 and 436. Lots of their dealers/jobbers say it's 304 but it's not. Hope this doesn't ruin your afternoon.

Mark @ DPPI
    Mark,

Thank you (sincerely) for your correction. I knew I'd made a mistake soon after I hit the "reply" button.

It is a 409 SS system. As an additional detail..... I was looking at the more expensive system with the polished tip and muffller which I thought was a 304 SS system. USDieselParts.com (found from TDP's advertisers) recommended Magnaflow's XL system which lacks the polished tip and muffler, but saved me another $200. They told me both systems were made of 409 SS. They knew I was after function over "looks". It was a very good purchase experience and I am very happy with the exhaust system.

I figured someone on this forum would notice my error in grades of SS. Frankly, I am pleased someone did....thanks.

Take care,
    Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)

Default Stainless

jsmiracle,

WHEEE good hoped you'd take it that way. Yep lots of "dis" and "mis" information out there on lots of products and when I see it I try to correct it as it's here for eternity and others will get confused etc!!

Glad you got what you expected and all is good!!

Mark @ DPPI

Default ?? Any news on this?...

Quote Originally Posted by martanius
    I am as fast as my buddies 2004. All I have is Edge /attitude. He has Banks exhaust and his truck sounds a lot better but to me it's not worth spending 800 bucks for 7HP... That's what he gained on the Dyno. Also his EGTs only dropped by like 150 degrees. My EGTs have never even hit 1000 with it on the #4 setting. I haven't pulled anything yet but when I do i'm only gonna be using the #1 setting so the temps should be fine there too. I'm thinking just swapping out my stock muffler will add some sound and allow more air flow. Should know more mid week. Had this truck 4 years and never did anything but drop in an K&N.. now I can't seem to stay off of EBAY.

Martanius, did you try this out?? Any success? After looking over the exhaust the muffler (stock) seems to be the biggest restriction. Would be interested in what happened if you just replaced that boat anchor of a muffler with something that allows gases to flow with less restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by titanite
    Martanius, did you try this out?? Any success? After looking over the exhaust the muffler (stock) seems to be the biggest restriction. Would be interested in what happened if you just replaced that boat anchor of a muffler with something that allows gases to flow with less restriction.

Yes I was thinking the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmiracle
    Mark,

Thank you (sincerely) for your correction. I knew I'd made a mistake soon after I hit the "reply" button.

It is a 409 SS system. As an additional detail..... I was looking at the more expensive system with the polished tip and muffller which I thought was a 304 SS system. USDieselParts.com (found from TDP's advertisers) recommended Magnaflow's XL system which lacks the polished tip and muffler, but saved me another $200. They told me both systems were made of 409 SS. They knew I was after function over "looks". It was a very good purchase experience and I am very happy with the exhaust system.

I figured someone on this forum would notice my error in grades of SS. Frankly, I am pleased someone did....thanks.

Take care,
    Jim M.
    Our XL Kits Come with a Non Polished Muffler and a 5"Single Wall Tip
    Our Pro-Series doesnt come with a Polished Muffler and No Tip.
    All of our systems are 409 Stainless on the piping. 432 on the mufflers and 304 on the tips.
    The reason we dont use 304 on our piping is due to the fact that 304 once its heated up and then cools down it becomes very brittle. And then the hangers break off. So thats why we use the 409 alot stronger.

Unhappy Re: Exhaust

This is such an intriguing subject; the exhaust system of a diesel engine, as uncomplicated as it; in reality should be, has in the hands of the EPA and the manufacturers become an enormously complicated and overgrown nightmare. If asked thirty years ago, what an engineer thought of how good it would be to force an engine to ingest its own exhaust gasses back into the intake tract; he would most probably believe that they had lost their fricken mind and should be in search of some good professional help or be locked up. I think I can see Al Gore asking that question.
    Being an owner of one of these marvels of creativeness, and also probably being extremely simple and environmently primative, I'd love to make some changes, but would hate to face being terminally incarcerated for my 'hands on' alterations of my personal property. By the way, I also smoke; so I can see with the logical progression of our lib society that sometime soon I can expect to be outfitted with my own personal exhaust system should I not change my ways. I would add that I suspect those aflicted with flatuance are on the radar also; you are a danger to the planet as you are killing our ozone layer. Seems the older ones and bikers are the chief offenders according to the reports that I have seen. And by the way, why is it that the Harleys are immune to converters and EGR systems?
    My my I have so gotten off track; I do have questions.
    I am in total agreement with Kennedy's assesment of the EGR system; it is a crime to so intentionally degrade the life and performance of an excellent diesel powerplant like the Duramax engine. I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to not only isolate the EGR tract from the exhaust but also create another fresh air supply upstream from the MAF to take the place of the exhaust gas reinjection function. This would allow the EGR valve to function as intended and also replicate the change to the MAF. The two great benefits would be that the engine no longer inhales the trash but moreso that the new fresh air would be cooled by the less loaded intercooler. This of course would not be possible if the system is not capable of drawing that air on its own----I'm not sure, I need to do some tear down to better understand whats going on. Could be someones tried something like this and can educate me.
    I really hate the EGR------
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by moss6; 05-08-2007 at 19:42.

I have an 03 LB7. I've been looking at the Magnaflow turbo-back systems. Any down sides to the turbo-back vs. just a downpipe-back system?

The truck is mostly just a daily driver with maybe 5K miles per year pulling a 7-10K enclosed trailer.

Thanks,

Bob
    tufcj

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I have an 03 LB7. I've been looking at the Magnaflow turbo-back systems. Any down sides to the turbo-back vs. just a downpipe-back system?

The truck is mostly just a daily driver with maybe 5K miles per year pulling a 7-10K enclosed trailer.

Thanks,

Bob
    tufcj
    Bob, Only those who are seeking to wring out every last horsepower will likely want to step up to a turbo back system (more tedious to install, less clearance, etc.). The downpipe or cat-back systems just make the most sense for most people.

Jim