Thread: D Max Express Fuel Mileage

Thumbs up D Max Express Fuel Mileage

I have 15k on the Express. Just completed a ten tank fuel mileage check. (Three fill ups in two days!) Low was 15mpg, high was 19 mpg.

I drive almost all highway and average around 75mph. It appears that the average mileage is 18mpg (17.9-18.2). Cost savings over gas van is 5 cents per mile. (Gas Ford van gets 13mpg)

Im right around 4k miles a month on both vans. That's $200 a month savings and I hope to get more longevity. Looks like the diesel option is worth the cost, to me, if the vehicle lasts 300k and the gasoline/diesel price ratio remains constant.

Chevy steers better than ford. Ford quality higher than chevy (lots of small things) Ford diesel I would NOT purchase.

Overall..... yes, I am good with this purchase.

Smile

I hope that i can give the mileage in a few months, i hope it wil be septemper.

we are looking for an express duramax delivery truck for the bakery, on this moment we have an ford transit with a trailer. the transit has an diesel engine also, it has an wopping 70 horse-power!!!.....................
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

I am coming up on 10,000 miles soon and so far I have a worst tank of 17.2 and a best of 22.5
    The best was a trip up north on the highway and rural NH back roads which average 45-50 mph. I seem to average 17-19 depending on how much highway I get on my daily travels. I have not had a complete tank of just highway miles to see what it could do but I bet it would be better.
    I ran it on the dyno to see where it stands, Janety Racing, with a 216.6rwhp and a 393.1rwtq.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Cool About the RWHP and RWT numbers. After summer hit, I haven't checked milage again.

BUT.... am very unhappy with the gasoline to diesel fuel price ratio. Yesterday, $2.39 for regular and $3.09 for diesel.

NOT GOOD.

$2.39 man thats like free,,,,,in ct its still well over $3.00 for unleaded but I just got diesel for $3.11. I just filled the express again with 700mi on the odometer and this tank I 16.03mpg which I think is pretty good considering the way I drive and the load it carries(HVAC service van)

Now gas is about $2.15 a gallon and diesel is $2.50 to 2.89 a gallon. I suspect low sulpher fuel raised the price, but...... I just bought a ford focus for generalized running around and drive van or bucket truck on service calls only. In fact, I am moving the bucket 100miles away and parking it and driving focus to and from. Imagine.. a corporate owned focus for a light service vehicle.

Diesel is killing me compared to gas these days. Would NOT have the bucket truck (C4500) any other way, but this may be first and last diesel van.

Cool try driving 64 mph

3500 express ext loaded or empty no towing if i drive 64mph i know its hard, i get 22.50 thru 24.00 using ps in grey bottle now even with my bad injectors i am pulling 19 to 20 miles per gallon this is all non-stop hwy driving i usually go 500 to 550 between fill ups now, for city driving i drive easy and get about 15 to 18 miles per gallon. Remeber 64 mph is the sweet spot if u got a 3.73 rear

Default Wanted: Feedback on duramax vans

I'm new to the duramax area, and just in the past few weeks realized they were now offering the Duramax diesel as an option. I will soon be buying another van for my electrical service company, to match my E-350 cut-away with an 11' Stahl body. I'm trying to weigh the options, buy another E-350 old enough to have the 7.3 P/S, with the higher miles/use it would have, or choke down the payments on a brand new duramax van.
    I'd like to know what, if any problems any one has had with these vans since they have been out with the duramax in them. I've heard that the trans is not the allison, how do the the lesser ones handle the tork? I read the fuel mileage numbers, but it left me wondering, what size vans are you speaking of, and will your numbers compair to what I would need, a cut-away with covered utility body, dual rear wheels?
    Thanks for your time, and I will look forward to your comments.

Greg
    '84 K-30 former CUCV 6.2L turbo/TH400/NP208, soon to be D60/Corp14FF, 35" radial mudders, or 39.5" boggers- Sweet soundnin' 3.5" exhaust, no muffler. Farm truck, play toy, water hauler.
    '86 K-30 dump truck project will have: 6.2L TD/4sp/NP205/4.10's dually flatbed dump
    Work trucks:
    '99 E-350 dually cut-away stahl utility box van. 7.3L Powerstoke/4R100 auto
    '00 F-350 Ext cab, 4x4, utility bed work truck. 7.3L Powerstoke/4R100 auto/NP271/D60/Sterling 10.5" 4.10 gears, DIY intake mod, muffler delete, and now DP-Tuner with stock/hi idle/40hp tow/decel/80hp econo settings.

Arrow

Hello, I have a 06 3500 express long wheel base van and I like it I am a chevy man the only problems I am having is it is running rich and smoking after long periods of idle time but that has nothing to do with the van itself its the engine and would have the same problem in a pick-up if my engine went in a pick-up not the van, I love the torque it has, even though its cut back to 460 foot pounds. I never haul over my gross which is 9600 lbs and I don't tow with it, it wil handle any mountain east of the mississippi with out even comming out of overdrive of corse thats at 64 mph thats as fast I drive it!! "fuel economy". I drive about 10,000 miles a month 70% highway 25% rural, and 5% traffic trans seems to hold up well and runs cool it has a 4L85e in it with a extra trans cooler out front my old van had a 5.7 gasser in it, it was a 2000 3500 ext express van and had a 4L80e in it and I got 347,00 out of the trans before rebuild and got rid of the van at 649,000 and trans was still running good, And I do belive in using syn fluids for everything AMSOIL is all I run. Another guy I run with has a 2006 3500 express cut-a-way with a 14 foot box and 12,300 gvw it has dual wheels of corse, he has about 130,000 on it, same d-max I got and he has not had 1 problem with anything on it he gets about 15 mpg at highway speed fully loaded I don't know what he gets empty, is box is 14 foot long by 96 inchs wide by 78 inchs tall hope this helps you out forgot to add my van gets 22.50 to 24.00 mpg empty and 19.00 to 20.00 loaded highway, city is about 15 to 18 mpg loaded or empty GO WITH THE D-MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default 2007-GMC Savannah or Chevy Express,Diesel Cargo Van MPG ?

Hello Diesel guys, does anyone know the MPG for the 2007-GMC Savannah or Chevy Express, Diesel Cargo Van? Reason I ask is:
    I have a 1997 GMC Savannah V6 gasoline Cargo Van and am looking to move up to a 2007 or 2008 Diesel Van. I am an electrician, carry mostly light loads of wire and light tools, never do any towing. I am currently getting an average of 15 mpg. Can I hope to do much better by getting a New or Close to New Savannah or Express Van that is Diesel fueled? Thanks

Default update

Well the van now has 191k on it and I changed to stanadyne from ps about 25k ago and my mileage has increased. The van now gets a average 23.5 to 24.5 running 62-64 mph on the highway. I don't know if the increase came from me switching to stanadyne or from the engine breaking in, should be almost broken in now I also run full syn fluids from engine to rear and and I am a easy driver. I have only had one injector replaced at 23k and a steering gear box replaced at 130k and the fuel primer pump replaced at 155k. Fuel gelled in IA and the pump sheered its teeth off trying to pull gelled fuel through. I have not heared of any other vans gelling up but it was -6 out with a wind chill of -25 and I bought the fuel from the Flying J in waterloo and double treated it with ps in the white bottle and it still gelled up after being off for only 30 hours. oh well lesson learned, start truck every 5 hours and let idle for 1/2 hour when temp is below 0 out, stanadyne says it is good down to -60, but I don't want to find out with another 530.00 pump plus 100.00 to thaw it out.