Thread: A/C control panel

Does anyone know if the a/c control module is serviceable? My Recirculate function does not work - button does not light - does not go into recirculate mode. Everything else works fine. I pulled the dash panel off and it appears that it is a sealed, non-serviceable part. Do I need to replace the whole piece? I didn't know if I could get to just the switch to see if it could be repaired/replaced. Thanks!
    96 K2500 Suburban /300+K miles /Relocated PMD /Turbo-Master /4" Exhaust (LOVE IT!) /Amsoil in Engine and trans with Amsoil remote bypass filter / Max-E-Tork ECU / Kennedy Fan upgrade / Bilsteins

What year of truck??
    1995 GMC 2500LD,6.5L TD,Ext cab, SB,4L80E,3.73,Heath Chip, Turbomaster,Hayden fan clutch, 3\" exhaust,K&N filter,Aux Fuel tank, High Idle,Remote Start,Homemade headlight booster,2 inch suspension lift,285/75r16 wrangler at/s. p_holmen@hotmail.com

Thumbs down

Note: there are no user servicable parts inside.
    IIRC about 80.00?

Cool

I replaced my control unit while I was in Brownsville, Texas this last February. The cost was about $187.00. I had fooled around with mine, trying to get it to blow cold, for about three weeks. There was a thread in the Forum during that time by Britanic (I think). He had replaced a transister in his, and got it fixed. I replaced the same transister, but couldn't get it to work.
    I had more issues than just the recirclulate switch, though. I think that if that was all that was wrong with mine, I'd just wait on it, till it bit the dust completely.
    The new unit was for a 97, or 98+, and was quite different inside than my 95. On the new unit, the recirc. is automatic if you have the function knob in the bi-level position. Like the first guy said, "What year is your truck?" Puting in a new control unit could be a good upgrade, like it was for me. If I had known that the later trucks used a unit that would just slip right in, I probably could have gotten one from the junk yard.
    FWIW, Dick
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I'm having the same problem with my 94 Sub. The AC will go into REC by itself sometime, other times, it won't turn on to save my life. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Will the newer model AC control modules fit in the 94 truck?
    1994 Suburban 3/4 ton, 6.5TD (F) 182,560+ miles

I believe GM knows about this issue with the controllers. They have changed the design slightly and the pigtale updated ones will plug right into a '94 with no problems.
    Charlie P. <br />95 Tahoe 6.5 TD

Mine is a 96 and has the separate Recirc. button. So you're saying the 97 and later panels will plug right in? Are these a better design?

Thanks for the info. as always.
    96 K2500 Suburban /300+K miles /Relocated PMD /Turbo-Master /4" Exhaust (LOVE IT!) /Amsoil in Engine and trans with Amsoil remote bypass filter / Max-E-Tork ECU / Kennedy Fan upgrade / Bilsteins

Cool

Yes, the later units will plug right in, and, they do seem to be an up-grade, in that GM has made them even more solid state and slightly smaller, which indicates to me that they had problems with the early ones, that were taken care of with a re-design. Worst thing is the price, which can be circumvented by looking around for a unit out of a wrecked truck. I know the Taho's are the same, as well as Suburbans, and (I think) even the later Astro Vans.
    Dick
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Dick - sounds like a good swap. What later years will work?

IIRC anything in the '94-'99 range will plug right in.
    Charlie P. <br />95 Tahoe 6.5 TD

I think that S-Blazers are the same too.
    A '94 would have the old style dashboard and be completely different.
    I think that s-Blazers are the same too.
    1995 Chevy K2500 Ext. cab 6.5L.<br />1993 GMC K1500 Ext. cab 6.5L with Banks Turbo

I have a 95 silverado and the A/C won't come on and the anti-lock dash light comes on when I turn on the fan. Is this part of the controller problems you guys are talking about? No codes are set in the controller - it's a bit frustrating to track down.

Thanks

Cool

I'm hoping that Britanic, or whoever it was that posted that fix, back in Feb. sees this thread and responds to you guys, because he had a much better handle on electronic/electrical things than I do. GMCTD is another one who could probably help you out. Easily. He's a wizard on this stuff.
    I think Carlie is right, the later stuff being interchangeable through 99. My 95 Astro is all mechanical/vacuum operated, but my son's 98 Astro appears to be the same a the 95-99 Suburban. Hope you can find a donor at the junk yard. I had one in Brownsville from a 95 Tahoe that fit, but didn't work. I ended up at the Chevy dealer, and paid a little over double what the used one cost. But, the new one worked, and is still working. Like I said a while ago, the solution that works is the right one. I guess in this case, the cost was worth it.
    Dick