Thread: Has the grim 6.2L reaper arrived?

Unhappy Has the grim 6.2L reaper arrived?

Wow. I can't believe it. While a friend (female) was driving my '83 6.2L van down the freeway, it suddenly lost power and died. I know what you're thinking: "What was I doing letting a someone else drive my baby?"

I think the 6.2L sensed, that the proper owner was not at the controls and, instead of being assaulted by an unknown, it took it's own life.

Details are sketchy but after several attempts at trying to jump-start it, it fired up. Sort of. It would only run at 1/3 throttle or more. Unfortunately the motor sounded very rough and the temp gage went from stone cold to over 160 in less than a minute of run time. The old girl's engine was a completely happy camper until this happened. So yesterday I was in the running for the high mileage contest and today; I shudder to think. Head gasket, Head, engine block or all three. What should I check first to confirm or deny the extent of the damage. Finally, if the worst has come to pass; who makes the best, most complete drop in 6.2L today? Thanks
    '83 6.2L N/A, Chevy Van, dual exh.,365K+, 19-22mpg. Slow, but Good.

Could be a number of things, but you'll really need a compression test done (yes I realize it's a van) before condeming the engine. If you have no compression in a hole, then you'll know.

The running on 1/3 throttle and up only is kind of odd.

Is the engine making any loud and expensive noises or just running rough?

Observe the crankshaft while it's running (harmonic balancer side) and see if it's got a wabble.

Will the van still move?

I'm trying to see if you've got a broken crankshaft. Some engines that have a broken crank will still run, but will either not transfer the power to the rear or the front, and run on about half the cylinders.

Perhaps it's just the pump.

I guess as a quick test for compression you could remove the glow plugs one at a time and crank over the engine (with the pink wire off the injection pump to keep it from starting) and with your finger see if you get compression out of the hole. Don't hold your finger on the hole, just near enough to feel the puff, or (safer) just listen.

I'm hoping others will chime in.

Last time this happened to me it was with a fresh engine that swallowed a nut and was running on 7 cylinders, but did idle, just with a noise.

J

I would pull the top off the IP and take a peek inside . Mine acted somewhat similar when the pre EID ring failed in the IP .
    1981 K10 stepside HP D60 , ARB 4.56, 14 BOLT w/ DETROIT ,39\"XLs ,305 , TH350 , 6.2 soon . 1984 M1008 Stock , almost running ....2 parts M1008s

Yep...

Could be IP internal, does sound aweful like flexring failure.

When was the pump last overhauled (if ever)?

Suggestion to remove the top of the IP is a great idea (thanks chuckvee) and see if anything's floating 'roud.

J

Hope its nothing serious, but if you are going to swap engines you should consider this

http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=22098

If you are interested, I could pull the engine and bring it as far as Memphis. Send me a pm and we can talk.

Sounds kinda like my 6.5TD when I first got it. Previous owner was pulling his horse trailer up a hill and it just lost power and died, locked up. After I got it home I got it pryed loose with a crowbar on the ring gear and jump started it. It had no power, heated up fast, and the died and wouldn't start for several hours. Turns out the pistons that originally siezed would heat up, swell, and sieze again. At least enough that it couldn't crank fast enough to start. It's a possibility on the broken crank idea too. Mine(first replacement in 6.5L) made hecka noise though. Sounded like a miget with a hammer going to town down below! Idled like a champ(minus the hammering) but so little power that I almost couldn't pull it in through the shop door after towing it home. I hope that your problem is something else, and much cheaper!

Default it happens

did your friend put gasoline?

No gasoline for sure, as I was watching the van in the rear view mirror of the vehicle I was in (we swapped). She was probably heavy into the throttle though as she had just gotten onto the interstate and was getting up to speed.
    '83 6.2L N/A, Chevy Van, dual exh.,365K+, 19-22mpg. Slow, but Good.