Thread: Oil pan plug gasket? Dumb question?

Question Oil pan plug gasket? Dumb question?

The local quick-lube place changed my oil and filter for me the other day, and there was no gasket/washer on the plug. He almost busted a box-end wrench getting it out. The D-Max is new to me, so I have no way of knowing if there was a factory installed plug gasket on it or not. In the end, he put a nylon gasket on, and tightened it down quite tight. I don't think they had a torque spec for it, and neither do I. I know this has been asked before, but here it is again. Is there supposed to be one there or not?
    Thanks.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Dick,

I just looked at the plug that (I think) came with my 03 and it’s a standard GM type plug with an integral rubber gasket. The gasket can be removed and replaced.. seems like a separate nylon gasket should work OK too. I looked up the torque spec on www.alldatadiy.com and it’s listed as 62 ft-lbs I was surprised it that that high! I would have guessed 24ft-lbs … At the first change I replaced the plug on my 03 with a Fumoto Valve which uses a flat fiber gasket... at 5kmi it was changed it to a special oil bypass filter return fitting that also used a flat fiber gasket.

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Thanks Bill.
    I'm not losing any sleep over this. I just check for seapage every day, and I'll take a wrench to it before I head back to Vermont. I keep fairly close track of these things anyway. I'll bet some of the old DM hands will check in on this with the official dope. I know it must have been asked before.
    Dick
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I didn't really pay too much attention, but I think it's a replaceable gasket with a sort of "cast in O-ring".
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

[QUOTE=jbplock]..I .. looked at the plug that (I think) came with my 03 and it
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Smile

Thanks Bill.
    Couple of things come to mind, neither one of great importance. One is that the filter that came off was an AC, and it was likely that Brown Automotive in Del Rio, where I got the truck, most likely changed the oil and filter, because the sticker on the windshield showed that I had to change the oil about the time that I actually did. So, if a GMC dealer did the job, then it should follow that they would do the right thing. Well, if they messed up it wouldn't be the first dealer to do so. So, I still really don't know, do I?
    The other thing is that my son back home has an 03 with the LB7, so when he un-caps his, maybe we can tell.
    Also, we have a complete set (5) of Helm manuals for the 03 at home. If we can't find the straight poop in there, it won't be found anywhere except from the guys who bought LB7s and either had a seal on the plug or not.
    Thanks again,
    Dick