Thread: Egr

Default Egr

I have a 98 1500 can anyone tell me if I should have vaccum at my egr valve, or the solinoid for it, or the sensor on the firewall? The vaccum is ok to the wastegate solinoid but I dont have it anywhere else? Truck smokes and will not rev up. it sounds like it is restricted on air. Puts out black and greyish smoke?

Things I have checked:
    1. vac at wastegate solinoid
    2. vac at wastegate 15in. (goes away when it gets hot?)
    3. new wastegate solinoid
    4. new boost sensor
    5. turbo spins free and no play
    6. split turbo and checked wastegate flapper
    7.new fuel filter
    8.new air filter
    9.checked grounds

The truck starts and idles fine as soon as you try to rev it is restricted and blows smoke to the point that you can not drive it. Any ideas????

Hi there,
    Sounds like the EGR valve in the intake manifold/plenum is jammed open. This is a common fault with the valves.
    The best thing to do is remove the EGR valve and blank off the recirculating hole with a plate and plug the vacumm hose with a bolt or something similar.

Good luck

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland

Any computer codes? Some parts stores will read them for FREE.Autozone is one I use.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.