Thread: After 10 years, I finally fixed my starter....

Default After 10 years, I finally fixed my starter....

Ever since I've had this '82 engine, the starter has never engaged the teeth on the flexplate properly. It's always made an awful grinding noise. I always thought it was due to the fact that the outer starter mounting ear on the block had been broken off and welded back on. I had tried new (reman) starters, various shim combinations, new flexplates, and all the other ideas, but never did any of them help until last night.

My starter failed (again...one of those lifetime reman units), this week, but this time I decided to buy a new 6.5L starter, not reman, from DB Electrical. I installed a DB electrical starter on my Tahoe back in April, and was really pleased with it. Well, the new DB starter bolted up to the block with no shims and no noise! It's extremely quiet, so much so that I can't believe it! After all these years, I finally have a starter that sounds sweet!

If you guys ever need a new starter or alternator, I highly recommend DB Electrical. They're great to work with, reply quickly to emails, and have fast shipping. Their products seem like really high quality. You can't beat the prices either.

And yes, I did install the proper starter bracket for the new gear-reduction starter.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek
    And yes, I did install the proper starter bracket for the new gear-reduction starter.
    Good boy!

I've got a gear reduction starter on my '82 pickup right now too, cause the direct drive left me sitting at work, that and a goofy ignition switch.

The gear reduction is working fine, doesn't start as quickly, but is really easy on the batteries in comparison and i can crank and crank and crank (even when completly priming the system that i ran out of fuel on) and still have some battery left.

Glad to hear that you've got the starting issue corrected, feels good to "fix" a long standing issue huh?

Oh, you got A/C on your truck?

J

Quote Originally Posted by john8662
    Glad to hear that you've got the starting issue corrected, feels good to "fix" a long standing issue huh?

Oh, you got A/C on your truck?

J
    Yes, and yes!

I can't believe that this starting issue that has plauged me since spring of '96 has finally been fixed.

And I do have a/c. Why do you ask?

Casey

Thumbs up

Prices are hard to believe Thanks for the link
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

thank you for the link i have been thinking about buying about 6 of them and keep them around for spares
    1989 GMC 3500 6.2L diesel

1984 Chevy 1500 6.2L diesel (New Rebuild)

1983 Chevy Blazer 6.2L Diesel

1984 Chevy Suburban 6.2L Diesel

1987 GMC Dump Truck 7.8 Liter Inline Six

1973 Massy-Ferguson 245 3cyl perkins