Thread: Gasoline in my 6.6 Duramax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow

There will be several here that will preach otherwise, but I say no harm done. My significant other(s) made a habit of pumping the wrong fuel into EVERY Diesel (5.7, 300D, 6.2, 7.3, 6.5, 6.6) I've had since day one. It's gotten much better lately, though.

If you have $20 of #2 in it, that's not much, these days. I say fill'er up, bleed it, and run out the fuel. Fill up again at 1/2 tank, and don't look back. Adding a little extra additive in the meanwhile will help with the missing lubrication. The gas at less than 25% won't hurt anything. At all. If it makes you feel better, drain the tank first, but nothing will be gained.

Anyone that believes otherwise can show up with evidence gas has ever harmed a Diesel engine. If the Diesel concentration is too little, the engine just quits. Only damage that can happen is lack of lubrication if the mix is ran for too long. Add some lube, and don't worry about it. Don't worry about changing the fuel filter, either, unless you think you got some dirty gas. If you think you've never ran gas in your Diesel engine, think again. There will be at least 5% in every tank you pump from your favorite supplier, and most of the time much more. Pull a sample and check it out. You may be surprised.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It's not a good thing to do, but it's done and you are not the first. 9 out of 10 drain, refill, etc w/o issues. Occasionally we hear of the poor guy who paid $15k for a new engine (or submitted to Insurance) which was probably unnecessary.

I think there are a lot of scammers out there that would try to rip a guy off in this position...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Change out the filter as well. I say no harm done.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Arrow

Pull a couple of the glow plugs, looking for evidence of heat damaged tips - like blisters or fractures. If the glow plug tips appear undamaged, so will the remainder of the engine.

A few years ago I heard from a fellow 6.5 member who (through a mixup at the pump) filled a half full tank the rest of the way with gas. He drove some number of miles till the problems started.... His fresh rebuilt 6.5 was eventually torn down. He reported all eight glow plug tips were burned off and the pistons suffered from heat fractures.

How hard the engine was worked with the gas mixture likely plays a part in what happens, as well as what the percentage of gas is in the fuel mix.

A 100% gas mix probably wouldn't allow the engine to run at all, but some % apparently causes high combustion temps.

I vote drain the tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Best not to take a chance.

Jim

Change the filter fill w/ diesel maybe add some additive w/ lubricity qualities, and run it, fill up @ 1/2 tank and enjoy your truck. Our shop has done many, although not an HPCR fuel system, would not think you should have a problem. bob............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

Any update for us on this one? I have been hoping to hear good news that you are back up and running!!!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Hello,
    I'm up and running fine,which I had no doubts it would.Like I
    said before,I was concerned about long term damage.After serious
    research, I'm convinced the computer shut my truck down before
    any serious damage was done.( I hope).It was suggested to me to
    add some ATF to fuel tank but I added a German diesel additive instead.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT

Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
    Eddie
    ---------
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD CC/LB (LBZ)
    211,000 miles / DVD player
    Kennedy Diesel Tuned Computer
    Manually extended towing mirrors
    Winter Grill Cover/screen
    Tough Country front bumper
    12,000# Warn Winch
    KC Fog Lights
    KC 130w Driving Lights
    Bradford Built Flatbed
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    More things covered by crochet than I'll admit.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyhauler View Post
    Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
    You're welcome, alway.

Was there a reason you're in THIS thread? Not sayin'?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com