Thread: What should my Voltmeter normally read?

Question What should my Voltmeter normally read?

Seems like its been in the area of 13 to 13.5 volts lately... should it be above 14?

Thanks again guys.
    98 6.5L (Banks exhaust w/o cat, JK fan clutch, gauges, synthetic oils, boost chip, K&N filter, Optima Redtops, Alpine CD)
    My truck:http://www.midwestlambos.com/forum/p...sc/trailer.JPG

If the truck is a few years old you may be seeing the beginnings of battery cable failure due to corrosion builup in the cable core.
    These trucks are notorious for battery cable problems.
    Be sure you alternator is in good shape before going on a witch hunt.
    If the alternator is good the cables are the bext issue.
    You cant really see much unless you cut the cables open. just replace them.
    If you want to try one thing first you can try a jumper from the positive terminal on the main battery to the positive lug in the main bass bar. depending on the year of the truck it is located in different areas.
    If you connect a new lead from the battery an you meter goes up, your there.
    Gound cables where they connect to the block are also trouble spots.
    Electrical issues can drive you nuts and dirty connections are usually the culprit in sooooooooooooo many situations.

Good luck
    Robyn

At start up glow plug cylce mine dips down I think to around 11 volts then climbs back up to right around 14v after a few seconds idling. 13.8v I think is perfect world good system. I think it varies after that due to temperature, connections, and guage used to measure it.

The passenger side battery positive post has loosened on me a few times (common complaint) and I see lower voltage on the dash guage. Tighten the connection back up and it returns to right about 14v. Like Robyn says side posts are notorious for going bad and looking ok visually. Another common problem is the spacer on the passenger side positive post. You have to take the connection completely apart and clean it good.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.