Thread: axle bolt torque?

the 8 bolts which secure the axle keep coming loose. According to the manual, 20 lb-ft required but they come loose. Would lock tite be the answer or just torque to a higher level..like 35-40 lb-ft?
    2004 2500HD LT Duramax LLY+Allison 2WD Extended Cab SB
    Cooper LTX265/75R16 tires

Email vernj4@juno.com

The axle to frame bolts ??? or are you referring to the wheel to axle lug-nuts if those; something is seriously wrong with your torque spec, my 6 bolt lugnuts are 140 ft lbs I suspect yours would be 100+ ft lbs as well.
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

rjschoolcraft Guest

Tim,

I think he's talking about the bolts that attach the axle shaft flange to the hub on the heavy duty rear axle assys.

Vern,

According to my 95 manual (in the text for installation), those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 115 lb-ft. This number is not in the specification table at the end of the secion, but in the paragraph that tells you to install the bolts.

This tightening is critical. The torque from the axle shaft drives through this flange coupling into the hub to the wheels. Flange couplings are designed to transfer torque through friction between the mating flange surfaces...not in shear through the bolt shanks. To get the proper friction capability, the bolts must be torqued properly. You will eventually see damage to your bolts and flanges if this isn't corrected promptly.

Arrow

RJ is correct. The axle flange bolts for the 10.5" full floater should be 115 lb/ft. This torque is critical, for the exact reason he described.

If you've ran with them at 20# for any time/distance, or towed at all, I suggest replacing the bolts. It may be too late for them. You may even see them bent, or the treads damaged. If it wasn't leaking lube, I'd suspect a dry bearing, as well. It is very important you take measures to ensure the bearings are well lubed after removing the axles. Either pack them with grease (shortcut), or fill, and jack up each side, individually (tilting the axle, considerably, to each side), to allow lube to run down the axle tubes to the hubs. Recheck the fill on level ground after the service.

What manual are you using, and can you quote the part with the 20# spec? If your book has a typo, we need to have it addressed by the publisher.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Red face

Thanks for your input. Re-read the manual....found the 115 lb-ft note. Think I seen the 20 lb-ft note in the section covering the 11"ring gear. Thanks again,
    2004 2500HD LT Duramax LLY+Allison 2WD Extended Cab SB
    Cooper LTX265/75R16 tires

Email vernj4@juno.com