Thread: considering a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax

Default considering a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to diesels for that matter, so I've got a few questions. I'm considering getting a 2500 with the Duramax, but I've also looked into the Dodge with the Cummins. I'd like to stick with a Chevy if I could, but I know next to nothing about it.

Here are my questions:

1. I can't afford a new truck, but I've heard that the older Duramaxs had some issues. Is that true? What year did they get those fixed?

2. What kind of fuel milegeas can I expect for the different years?

3. Are there any issues with the Allison tranny? Do they offer it in a manual?

4. How are they on overall maintenance? I do alot of towing, so I need something that is reliable and isn't a maintenance hog.

Thanks in advace!!

Jack

Default I have an '03

I bought a new '03 Duramax 2500 and like it. I have about 40,000 miles. All engines (all makes, all years) have some issues. I have been following this site for a couple of years and it seems the "issue" with the duramx is injector related - see recent survey where 75% of participants say they have had injector issues-

I have not had any engine issues with mine 'cept an oil pan leak.

I drive Ford and Dodge diesels at work and own the Chev. they are all good.

Buy the chev if you like chevy's.

Generally everbody's diesels have been getting more power since 2001 and dodge and duramax are quiet compared to say '01. Ford is still loud.

the Allison tranny is great (strong) and seems to be appreciated by all.

I get 21 on Hwy-summer-#2 fuel
    I get 17 on hwy with 3,000 lb slide-in camper on board
    I get 14 in winter (Fairbanks, Alaska) with #1 fuel - local driving
    \'03 Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab, Long Bed LS trim- Pewter, Duramax - stock