Thread: Truck died..."Battery not charging"

Default Truck died..."Battery not charging"

I know there have been a few discussions on this, and I did search for them, but didn't have much luck, so here goes. I was driving about 40mph yesterday and the engine died, door locks activated(don't know which way), and message on DIC said "Battery not charging". I put it in neutral and it fired right up, except when I pushed the throttle is kind of sputtered as it accelerated for about 3 or 4 seconds then ran fine since. Also I have noticed my driver 1 settings like the A/C and DIC readings do not hold every time and seem to change after I kill the engine and then restart later. I plan to scan for codes, but anyone else experience this stuff? Anything else I should try? Could it be a battery cable problem?
    2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A
    Crew cab
    4x4
    Long bed
    Red(of course)
    Uniroyal Liberator A/T 285/75/16's
    Bilsteins
    Edge Juice w/Attitude

2003 CRF450-mine
    2004 CRF150-wife
    2003 XR70-daughter
    2001 XR50-son
    Yeah, we like the Hondas

How old are you current batteries, are they OEM?

They are the original batteries, but connections are good and they have no signs of the leakage I have heard some people report on GM batteries.
    2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A
    Crew cab
    4x4
    Long bed
    Red(of course)
    Uniroyal Liberator A/T 285/75/16's
    Bilsteins
    Edge Juice w/Attitude

2003 CRF450-mine
    2004 CRF150-wife
    2003 XR70-daughter
    2001 XR50-son
    Yeah, we like the Hondas

So I'm guessing they are at least a couple of years old. Several folks have reported weirdness with weak OEM batteries. Mine were about 2 years old when in cool or cold weather, my instrument panel would not work after a start. After this started, I would come out to start and the batteries were completely dead ( at least twice ). At rest, after driving, these batteries would show good voltage and always appeared to charge. However, they did not have the capacity to provide the appropriate amount of current, whatever these trucks may be demanding, to support the complex electronics. I battled the failing instrument panel for two seasons. Then I replaced the batteries, no more weirdness.