Quote Originally Posted by ronniejoe
My experience has shown that egt's run high under those conditions. I prefer to run in OD at higher boost levels where things stay cooler.
I'll agree with that! RPM's and low boost equals high EGT's. Before the intercooler install, when the transmission would downshift out of OD and the RPM's would go up to the 3000 range the EGT's would climb dramatically and quickly. Higher boost helps to cool things down but isn't the real solution to the problem.

That was why in a previous post I was suggesting hacking the VSSB to read 4.10 gears when mine were in fact a higher ratio. If setting it to 4.10 gears helps to keep the converter locked and/or keep it from dropping out of OD then I think it's a possible viable modification. I believe one poster above said that with the 4.10 gears it was very difficult to drop out of OD over 65-70 MPH. With 3.73 gears that's about 2200-2400 RPM's. That's a nice RPM range for a lot of boost when towing. On mine if it kicks down out of OD at 65-70 that means like 3100 RPM's and the trucks just not pulling anymore, only generating EGT's.

Art.