Prior to installing a Banks Ram Air kit onto my Duramax, the truck was running good and strong with the Banks Stinger TLC kit (Exhaust, Ottomind Computer, BigHead Wastegate, Gages). After installing the Ram Air Kit, the 1st thing I noticed when I took it for a test drive is that I had lost most of my power in 1st gear. In fact I know have to look for an embarrassingly long gap in traffic before cutting out.

Before installing the Ram Air kit, I had a short moment of turbo lag and then it pulled hard. If I was pulling a heavy trailer, the tires would break loose almost immediately. After installing the kit, it seems to have no boost and power until 2nd gear. First gear gets me to 20 mph at approximately 3250 rpm with a maximum of 10 psi boost. When second kicks in, my boost immediately jumps to 22+ psi and it pulls hard sometimes breaking the tires loose. It then runs through the rest of the gears with no problem. In fact it feels like the Ram Air kit improves power from 2nd on up.

I spoke to two technical reps at Banks and they were no help. The basically said if there was no SES lights and the Banks computer diagnostic light was not flashing its red LED then I should have noticed an improvement in throttle response and power through all gears. I question whether this is true. Their advertising claims their kit make up to 39 hp and 69 lb-ft, which it may do somewhere through the rpm range, but from my experience, it kills throttle response and power in first gear.

Before I take off the Ram Air Kit and install back on my stock unit w/K&N, I want to understand what is going on. Is the fact that the kit re-located my MAF causing a problem? With the big increase in the intake tube flow area, should I expect a longer turbo lag? Has anyone else experience this problem? Please help as I am frustrated with Banks technical support.

Thanks,

DieselMax403