Thread: Urgent: Glow plug tip Broken

Angry Urgent: Glow plug tip Broken

Well I was pulling my number three glowplug to check the timing and it broke off fairly easily. I have pulled on others harder and they came out. This one just broke off. I was wondering if there is a chance that I could start it and it would be ok, or if I have to pull the head. I really don't have time. This engine is going to be replaced in about a month but I need it to last that long. Should I try turning it over?
    Thanks,
    Kyle
    '83 Blazer, DB2 built like 4911 by Accurate Diesel, 6.5 oil pump, 6.5 turbo injectors, 82 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, serpentine, gm-4 turbo with turbo master, timing gears, custom stud girdle, lower compression
    Pics: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/kkarlson_photo/

Default glow plug tip

I would'nt...plenty of info available on a search on how to try and get the piece out...magnet, pull the injector to get at it, whatever...once you try and turn it over, its asking for trouble. It's always possible to get away with starting it, but I've seen the results on the top of the piston from someone who probably did what your thinking. good Luck.

i am pretty sure it already fell in the cylinder. I am going to try to start it and hope i get lucky. It only has to last a few more weeks and it is not worth a day of trying to fix. I already pulled the injector and there was nothing in there. No magnet could get in there and get it. I would need a boroscope or something.
    '83 Blazer, DB2 built like 4911 by Accurate Diesel, 6.5 oil pump, 6.5 turbo injectors, 82 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, serpentine, gm-4 turbo with turbo master, timing gears, custom stud girdle, lower compression

You can't feel anything inside?

Sometimes the plug tip gets burned off! Does your glowplug look like the end of a welding rod electrode? If so, that's what happened, just install new plug and go on...

I don't know what a welding rod looks like, but nothing was inside. I started it and drove about 30 miles. There are no knew sounds or anything so I think it is fine. It may have burned off but it was not black on the very end. It was kind of white like ceramic. Oh well, it is fine now or so I think. When and if I get my new engine in I will tear this one down to check it out. Thanks for all the replies.