Thread: What air intake to go with? Banks? AFE?

Currently I have the Conical K&N with holes drilled in the airbox (previous owner)

Should I change to the AFE setup? Banks Ram Air system? Stay with what I have?

Thanks guys!
    98 6.5L (Banks exhaust w/o cat, JK fan clutch, gauges, synthetic oils, boost chip, K&N filter, Optima Redtops, Alpine CD)
    My truck:http://www.midwestlambos.com/forum/p...sc/trailer.JPG

Barry Nave Guest

Conical K&N with holes drilled in the airbox

I also have the K&N. Going on 100K. I just keep mine very clean.
    Any way some like the K&N and some don't.
    AFE is very good,I should change but price keeps it from me.
    Wonder what the nut was thinking by drilling holes. Fill it, tape it, plug it.

Kev-o Guest

I seen a pic of a powerstroke set up with a aluminum air box bolted to the inner fender and sealed to the underside of the hood it had a cone filter and some electronics mounted in there as well. I am thinking of making one and mounting my FSD in there to stay cooler. (any one have this type of set up?)

been running the ssdiesel intake on the tahoe for a while with no problems and good results (quicker spool-up, peppier acceleration, nice whistle).
    matt
    03 K2500HD HotOJ/JK4\"<br />01 K3500 12kGVW<br />99 Tahoe 6.5TD L65/JK3.5\"<br />98 K3500 6.5TD<br />97 C3500HD 15kGVW 6.5TD <br />96 K2500HD 6.5TD/BD4\"/TTS ECM <br />96 K3500 6.5TD<br />94 C3500 11kGVW<br />Bobcat773/JohnDeere4300/FerrisMowers<br />FJR1300/YZFR1/YZFR6/CBR600F3/XR400

Kev-o Guest

Any info or pics?

I had the SS Diesel air intake and ended buying the AFE from JK. The SS Diesel air intake has a smaller filter cone and I got fed up with cleaning it monthly from highway grime. The AFE air filter system IMHO is better and allows more air flow. The turbo spools up faster and boost response is better then the SS Diesel. Diesel parts are expensive and so is the AFE. If you are going to buy something for your truck then don't short change yourself buy a good product. AFE is $315.00 (OUCH) from JK. His price was the cheapest I have found searching the internet.
    95 Suburban 6.5 TD; AFE Air Filter/Box; DSG Idler Gears; Remote Mounted FSD; High Output Water Pump; Autometer Lunar Guages - Boost, Trans Temp, EGT; GM-8 Turbo; JK Lighting Upgrade, Fluidamper, Max-E-Tork Eprom, Turbo-Master, HD Lift Pump

$315...ouch. i just saw this product today for the first time....when i bought the ssdiesel intake it was the only aftermarket setup i could find... with a fresh big round k&n in the factory box, the tahoe was sucking in the filter-minder any time i gave it more than half throttle so something had to be done....i think it was only about $100. for pics, visit the ssdieselsupply website and look under products.

another option that i am considering has been documented on this site previously and uses an early cummins intake in the passenger side battery location, drawing fresh air from the fender. this requires moving the battery (he used an optima) to the top of the fenderwell.

i have also seen a setup using a snorkel running down into the front bumper hole engineered from pvc plumbing supplies that was claimed to work well. somewhere i think i still have pics of these last two options, but not certain since i've lost a computer since then....

matt