Thread: Dana 60.... Ohhh The Beauty!

Default Dana 60.... Ohhh The Beauty!

I like to ramble so if you don't want to hear it just skip to the second paragraph ...... I'll start out by saying this (all a matter of opinion) I HATE IFS! A one ton truck is supposed to ride like a one ton truck, even "if" the IFS front end does soak up the bumps that doesn't mean that the rear end will! I remember when back in the day you expected a 4WD work truck to have either a bomb proof Dana 60, or an HD Dana 44, that's just the way it was, and if you complained about the ride quality you were a "sissy". In my opinion the worst thing GM did was try to make a work truck ride like a car. The front end of my 79 Toyota has been through level 4+ and 5 rated trails in Moab and has had absolutly No problems other than a bent tie rod that I quickly replaced with a 1.5" OD DOM unit, and on the other hand the strength of my (BIG BAD HD WORK TRUCK ) 95 Chevy IFS has to be second guessed on the mildest of dirt roads.

My 6.5L pickup just turned over 50,000 miles and my front end is shot. I need you guys to steer me in the right direction (pun intended) I don't want to replace the ball joints, idler arm, and everything else with OEM "stuff" that will just last another 50.000 miles if I'm lucky. Is there anywhere I can get BEEFY parts or am I out of luck? I know that sled pullers have to be running something more than OEM, or mabey they are just a lot braver than me. I have done many solid axle swaps in the past, but I really don't want to lift my truck more than 2 inches max, and I think the smallest SAS calls for 4" on these trucks, plus the cost is more than I'd like to spend right now anyway. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated thankx.
    95 K2500 Silverado regcab, 6.5L F-vin, 4l80E, HD alloys 3" turbo back, Air intake, custom machined FSD isolator & I just turned over 50,000 original miles SOLD!!!
    79 Toyota Hilux 20R, G52 5-speed swap, 4.7:1 t-case gear reduction, 4.37:1 R&P's, and 35" X-terrains. Too bad the poor thing is about to die from skin cancer
    86 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.9 diesel, 4 speed, 3.55 gears, and lovin it

Arrow

1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

For replacement parts, I wouldn't go to the dealer either, but Moog brand front end components are good stuff.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Rot Box
    ... I remember when back in the day you expected a 4WD work truck to have either a bomb proof Dana 60, or an HD Dana 44, that's just the way it was, and if you complained about the ride quality you were a "sissy". In my opinion the worst thing GM did was try to make a work truck ride like a car....
    Yeah, and some people think syncronizers and automatics are for sissies, too...

Personally, I think electric starters are for sissies. If you can't crank it or kick start it, walk home!

The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Well I looked into it a little bit more this morning, and found that not every rod end is bad, but the pitman and idler arm definatly are I ordered up energy's bushing set so I won't have to worry about it later, and am in the process of getting everything else through Moog. I swear that these componants were just designed to fail so someone could make some extra $$$.

I guess I just need to except the fact that the days of GM issued D60's, granny gear SM465's, EATON rearends, PTO winches, NP205 transfers, ect..... are gone, and enjoy cruise control, IFS, Autos, indash DVD's and light beer...... well mabey not the beer part
    95 K2500 Silverado regcab, 6.5L F-vin, 4l80E, HD alloys 3" turbo back, Air intake, custom machined FSD isolator & I just turned over 50,000 original miles SOLD!!!
    79 Toyota Hilux 20R, G52 5-speed swap, 4.7:1 t-case gear reduction, 4.37:1 R&P's, and 35" X-terrains. Too bad the poor thing is about to die from skin cancer

Arrow

Anyone who has ridden in JK's 2002 2500 while launching at 18,000-lb GCVW on a 6% grade during a Pull-Off will be supremely impressed with the strength of the front IFS. Sled pullers around the country are very competitive with their IFS GM trucks.

The key is to buy GM factory replacement parts or hi-performance aftermarket when servicing the front-end. Avoid the cheap stuff sold at auto parts stores.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rot Box
    ...enjoy cruise control, IFS, Autos, indash DVD's and light beer...... well mabey not the beer part
    Stay away from the lite beer and there's hope for you yet!

(Eaton still makes the locking rear...)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Rot Box,

4 Wheel and Off Road did a build up on a IFS 4wd truck (It was either a 2500 or 3500) trying to make it work with a lift kit, 35" tires, etc. It started about 6 months ago and listed both a-arms, steering components, cv joints and shafts, etc. They broke a lot of parts in doing research, but I think they came up with a pretty good overall package if you're not going to go to a straight axle. The half shafts were a big problem. You may find the info on the magazines website also.

Good Luck,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by 7.4 VORTEC
    Rot Box,

4 Wheel and Off Road did a build up on a IFS 4wd truck (It was either a 2500 or 3500) trying to make it work with a lift kit, 35" tires, etc. It started about 6 months ago and listed both a-arms, steering components, cv joints and shafts, etc. They broke a lot of parts in doing research, but I think they came up with a pretty good overall package if you're not going to go to a straight axle. The half shafts were a big problem. You may find the info on the magazines website also.

Good Luck,
    George

Yeah I've been watching that buildup for awhile, very interesting (I expecially like the tie-rods). I just started pulling it down today, and I am really struggling with it. I am toying with the idea of putting a 77-79 ford hi-pinion dana 44 in the front. A friend of mine did this a while ago, and it turned out really really nice. I'm not afraid of the work involved as i have done a swap on a handfull of Toyotas, I'm just hesitating on the cost of the cross-over steering. I also don't want a lifted truck for a daily driver and tow rig. All I know is I am just about sick to death of ball joints expecially when there are 10 of them and all of the cotter keys need to be drilled out. but hey for $800+ dollars to have a shop do it I probably shouldn't complain