Thread: Cummins anounces new diesel engine program

Arrow Cummins anounces new diesel engine program

Cummins announced it has reached agreement with a major automotive manufacturer serving the North American market to produce and market a light-duty, diesel-powered engine.

Cummins will develop and manufacture a family of high-performance, light-duty diesel engines for a variety of automotive applications in vehicles below 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight, including standard pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.

Glad to hear this. Maybe it will expand the diesel market.
    My Baby - 1990 GMC 1500 Ext Cab Sierra 4X4 6.2L TH 700R4 145,585 miles. Synthetic Shell Rotella T. Sony In-Dash Stereo /w DVD & XM Radio.
    Wife's Daily Driver - 85 Caddy /w 4100 V8 Gasser.
    Please don't make me own a gas burner again.

Thumbs down Industry News relating to diesel light-trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ
    Glad to hear this. Maybe it will expand the diesel market.
    And help drive the price of diesel even higher?
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

Would this be the diesel they are offering in the Jeeps?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

No surprise. ALL of the Diesel engine manufacturers have a program. That's not the problem. Vehicle makers have to implement them or no market. Too many good programs died young.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Unhappy

"too many good programs died young" is this inclusief the v6 duramax??
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 NOVA
    "too many good programs died young" is this inclusief the v6 duramax??
    Don't know. We'll see. There has been more than one proposal for the V6 Durmax in the past, but it never made it to production. The engine does exist. But doesn't have an application, yet. Same went for the PS V6. That one cost Ford plenty for abandoning it. They actually had a contract with Navistar to build them, then cancelled.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by chipper
    And help drive the price of diesel even higher?
    I'd like more diesel vehicles to become available; especially American cars again. GM had all the bugs worked out on the 5.7L diesel about the time the public was soured on them. Now would be a good time to bring it back to the full size cars.
    My Baby - 1990 GMC 1500 Ext Cab Sierra 4X4 6.2L TH 700R4 145,585 miles. Synthetic Shell Rotella T. Sony In-Dash Stereo /w DVD & XM Radio.
    Wife's Daily Driver - 85 Caddy /w 4100 V8 Gasser.
    Please don't make me own a gas burner again.

Smile

I have one of the v6 PS in a step van chassis truck we are getting decaled now looks really strange with twin turbos I'll let you guys know how it pans out I hope better than that 6.0 POS getting tried of replacing turbos 7 on one truck all on there dime however still bits evertime have to take back to dealership.
    I would love to try one of those v6 dmaxs in my wife every day driver truck. I'm getiing ready to out a 4BTA cummins in her truck for her.
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED

Question

Quote Originally Posted by redbird2
    I have one of the v6 PS in a step van chassis truck we are getting decaled now looks really strange with twin turbos I'll let you guys know how it pans out I hope better than that 6.0 POS getting tried of replacing turbos 7 on one truck all on there dime however still bits evertime have to take back to dealership.
    I would love to try one of those v6 dmaxs in my wife every day driver truck. I'm getiing ready to out a 4BTA cummins in her truck for her.
    Interesting.

Is that engine/van badged Ford, or Navistar, or something else? Just curious.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut
    Would this be the diesel they are offering in the Jeeps?
    I think with the existing Dodge/Cummins relationship, that may be a good assumption. But, Dodge has not announced a 1/2 ton diesel pickup, whereas Ford and GM both have.

Personally, I think Dodge is really missing the boat by not dropping the 4BT into their 1/2 ton trucks. Sure seems that it would be fairly easy to tool that up.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

DmaxMaverick.... The v6 PS is branded a Navistar. It is definatly in production and is being offered in a new Ford low forward truck kinda like all the little Isuzu's you see around.
    Dad's truck
    02 GMC Crewcab Dually Duramax Allison 4x4
    Amsoil Ea Air Filter
    Post OEM Mega Fuel Filter;
    FilterMag on Fuel & Oil;
    Fumoto Drain Valve
    Kennedy Diesel Performance ECM
    Gauges; Kennedy Diesel Lift Pump
    Sheffenecker Mirrors

Sold
    05 GMC Crewcab Shortbed Duramax Allison 4x4...

Dad's truck also (My daily driver)
    2007 Classic Crew Cab 3500 Dually
    Kennedy Diesel Mega post Fuel filter
    Kennedy Diesel Lift pump & EGR blocker Package & fingers stick
    Bilstein shocks
    Amsoil synthetic oil and filters
    FilterMag on fuel and oil
    Fumoto drain valve
    Amsoil Dealer

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WILLYD-MAX
    DmaxMaverick.... The v6 PS is branded a Navistar. It is definatly in production and is being offered in a new Ford low forward truck kinda like all the little Isuzu's you see around.

I was referring to was the contract they had for F-series trucks they bailed out of. What they have now is a different contract, with a different division of Ford.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A