Thread: 6.5 Cooling upgrades - DMAX Parts?

Default 6.5 Cooling upgrades - DMAX Parts?

YGreetings.

You may have seen this somewhere else, but I wanted to see what the experts here had to say............

I have been a member since 1999 when I bought my first 6.5TD. While this is my first post, I love to read all of the info on a daily basis. Keeps me occupied for hours.

Question about the 1993 K2500.
    When I first bought it in 1999, it needed a new radiator. I ordered one through the Chevy store (My Brother is the parts guy) and they could only get an aluminum replacement. This was only a 2 core model. The original one was a 4 core brass model. While I have towed with the truck (6000 box trailer over the mountains to the desert) and it has never overheated, I have been concerned that when I put a big load behind the truck (10K or so) it would overheat.

I am now considering buying bigger trailer so I have some questions regarding the use of DMAX parts on the truck. I have been able to get a DMAX radiator and a fan for free! and want to know if anybody here has successfully installed these parts on the K series 6.5 turbo.
    Will the 21" dmax fan bolt up to the 6.5 fan clutch? My fan clutch is new and it does work good. I already have a new water pump and 180 thermostat.
    Will the dmaxx radiator bolt in with out too much trouble? I know that I will need to get a surge tank (the later model 6.5s have one and it will bolt in) and fab the connection to the lower radiator hose.
    Any advice or experience in this matter is appreciated. The knowledge and help on this forum is great! Thanks

Mine - 1993 K2500 Ex Cab. 165K. 4.10 gears. NV4500. New IP@160K (+10%). Upgrades = 3" exhaust turbo back. Crossover pipe. K&N. Snorkel gone. Turbo boost lever (10-12PSI Max). 285-75-16s. 180 T stat. Gages.

Moma's - 1999 C2500 Suburban. 125K. 3.73 gears. 4L80. 3 - 3.5" exhaust. Lost Kitty Cat. K&N. Suspension level kit. 265-75-16s

Default Lower Rad Hose

MadKel,

Before fabing a lower rad hose setup, you might want to compare you 93 hose to the one for 1999. If they match, your work could be done. If not, then at least you'll have the bottom nipple available to you as a starting point.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Trim off the extra plastic brackets on the LB7 Duramax radiator, and it'll drop right into your truck - fits very well, including the in/out hose fittings. I've done it. The radiator drain fitting is a little close to the bottom tray, but I used a cut-off wheel to create a tidge more room on sheet metal.

You'll need the 1994-1999 6.5 fan shroud and 1994-99 6.5 coolant surge tank and the 1994-99 6.5 top radiator mount brackets.

The ATF cooler fittings used in the Duramax radiator are too large for the 4L80-E, unless you can fab some reducers (or use an external ATF cooler).

We were the first to install a 21" Duramax fan on a 6.5 - in 2001. It's a direct bolt-on if you have a 1997-00 model year 6.5 fan-clutch (a 1996 or earlier fan-clutch won't accept the fan). Most people don't need to clearance the shroud for the larger fan.

Jim

Thankyou for the info,

The truck is a manual so no worries about the trans cooler.

Another question, does the surge tank hook up to the radiator? I thought it hooked up to the lower radiator hose via the special dmax radiator hose?

I can get the LLY fan clutch also, will it bolt up to the 1993 6.5?

Also, it is a radiator from an LLY, I know the dimensions are the same as the LB7, so it should work, Right?

Thanks again the information will make it go so much better for the install

The surge tank in my 99 Suburban is connected to the cooling system in two locations.

The pump suction hose ( Lower Rad) connects to the bottom of the surge tank.

Theres is a hose that goes from the top of the rad to the side of the surge tank. this allows for recirculation of the tank volume, so the chemistry stays similar to whats in the block.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger