Thread: Fuel Filter Alternative?

Default Fuel Filter Alternative?

I'm doing a conversion on a 1979 GMC full size Jimmy using a low miles engine out of a CUCV Blazer. This question would come under the heading of "I've Got It Can I Use". I have a dual oil filter mount that I don't need for anything special right now and I'm wondering if there are any fuel filters that would fit it. The mount takes a Motorcraft FL-1 filter which has the specs of:

Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
    Gasket I.D. (Inches):2.462''
    Gasket O.D. (Inches):2.834''
    Height (Inches):5.178''
    O.D. (Inches):3.66''
    Thread Size (inches):3/4-16

I know that's probably pretty large for a fuel filter but thought I'd ask just in case it's possible. I'm also assuming that just using a oil filter would not be good as it most likely wouldn't be able to filter well enough for diesel fuel. Otherwise I have a line on a stock filter assembly for a mid-early 1980's Blazer, the rectangular box style.
    R. Dale Durham
    1994 Blazer, 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    1979 Jimmy - 6.2L Diesel conversion
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think it would be best to use the factory square "Model 80" Fuel filter system, mainly for ease of getting replacement filters for the 6.2 application.

You could physically use oil filter bases for fuel filtration. The key is picking a filter that meets the filtration needs and fits the mount. For mainstream filtering (before lift pump) you'll need ~10 micron. Then a 5 micron before the injection pump (or finer). Perhaps Baldwin has a large list of filters and the dimensions in which they fit bases.

Other members will probably feel the need to correct my filter rating, I may not be 100% right.

That's why I vote whatever the factory used in this case.

I'd recommend using the stock model 80 filter (rectangular) as a primary filter, and a 2-micron Racor as the secondary. I use an R45S element right now because of clearance issues on my firewall, but I have a case of 6 R60S elements that I picked up on eBay for about $80 that I'll use when I get around to making a bracket for both of them on the inner fender.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Hi
    I have been pondering using a alternative fuel filter assembly for my military Dodge M37 project as well.
    Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the pressure sensor is for in the factory filter base? I assume the sensor will not let the vehicle crank if there isn't enough fuel pressure to the injector pump, correct or am I wrong. I know that they can crack/leak and not let the vehicle crank because it lets in air.
    Looking for alternate primary fuel filter.

Brian

Hello , the Perma-Cool 81000 fuel filters might work because their dimensions are the same, but I don't know about the spin on thread pitch. They do have water drain valves on the bottom and are all metal, hold about 1 quart, and suitable for diesel fuel as well as gasoline, methanol, and ethanol. If I'm not mistaken, they are 2 micron, but check everything out for yourself to be sure.

Frank.

Hi
    I ended up buying a NOS 2003 fuel filter assembly for a Dodge Cummins. Should do the job and has a top screw in filter.

Thanks,
    Brian